Mayor Breed stood alongside eight out of eleven board to supervisors and other city officials in Chinatown Wednesday after she announced a ban of large gatherings over 1,000.
RELATED: Mayor London Breed announces relief for small businesses, bans large gatherings over 1,000 in San Francisco
"We're in Chinatown because we know the business impacts in this community have probably felt the economic impacts more than any other community in San Francisco. We have worked together to come up with a number of immediate things we can do now," Mayor Breed said.
Details on those measures can be found here.
"We are allowing small business to defer the next round of quarterly business taxes to next year of February 2021," Breed said.
CORONAVIRUS: Tracking latest developments of viral infection in US
The city is also establishing a relief fund of one million dollars which will provide small businesses at least $10,000 grants.
Supervisor Aaron Peskin said Chinatown is indeed suffering.
Vivian Lo, owner of Chen Tseng Trading Co., LTD., and Ed Jew, a member of a group called the Waverly Place Merchant Association, handed out letters after the press conference addressed to Breed. The letter suggested a voucher system in Chinatown, where shoppers will be given a coupon at one store that can be used at another Chinatown business like a restaurant or cafe as an incentive.
CORONAVIRUS IMPACT: Closures, cancellations related to COVID-19 in San Francisco Bay Area
Lo also suggested San Francisco residents and people in the Bay Area should show support for Chinatown, because tourism is down.
"It's terrible, quiet and everyday we stand over there for nothing. All three months it's so quiet and we cannot afford to pay for the rent," Lo said.
Mayor Breed said even though this is a small step forward, there will be a number of more announcements to support small businesses to come.
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Live updates about coronavirus outbreak in US, around the world
- What to know about COVID-19 in Calif., how it's affecting San Francisco Bay Area
- Coronavirus: Cancellations, suspensions and shortages related to the global virus outbreak
- How coronavirus compares with the flu
- No masks but here are 100+ products that may help protect you against novel coronavirus germs
- Everything Americans need to know about coronavirus
- Coronavirus Prevention: How to properly wash your hands
- Busting COVID-19 coronavirus myths: Facts from the Centers for Disease Control
- Here's a look at some of history's worst pandemics that have killed millions
- Coronavirus Outbreak: 7 questions answered
- Is the new COVID-19 virus more 'deadly' than flu? Not exactly
- Coronavirus outbreak: Health expert shares tips for preparedness, emergency supply list to stay healthy
- Coronavirus: SF artist creates realistic-looking custom respirator masks that unlocks iPhones
- Coronavirus outbreak: SF doctor explains how to protect yourself, stay healthy
- Coronavirus: SF State educator addresses xenophobia in the Bay Area
- SF Mayor London Breed explains declaring state of emergency over coronavirus