New data obtained by the ABC7's I-Team indicates what areas will be hit the hardest.
Reopening California: Newsom gives guidelines to reopen dine-in restaurants, malls, offices and more in CA
Three counties stand out: Solano, Sonoma and Marin.
"It's going to be hard on a lot of businesses, but retail particularly hard," said Mark Taylor, General Manager of 'Mike's Bikes' in Sausalito.
According to an ABC7 analysis, Marin County's retail sector is expected to be the second hardest-hit across the Bay Area.
Roughly, 15% of all private employees across the county work in retail. Sonoma County is close behind with 14%.
Whereas, San Francisco has the lowest with roughly 7%.
Here is a full list of where each county stacks up:
So what area is bracing for the worst? It's Solano County.
ABC7's data analysis found nearly one in five employees across the county work in retail. That's the highest rate in the Bay Area.
Despite the county getting a head start on lifting restrictions last week, consumers are still concerned what the "new normal" will look like.
RELATED: Frustrated Californians move out, say coronavirus 'pandemic was last straw'
"Imagine you're going into a store where there's lots of people, hardly any are circulating, thinking about the people that you're going to get infected," said Vallejo resident Manny Espinoza.
"It's still killing people," said Bertha Thomas.
Taylor is the rare exception as his bike shop is deemed essential.
"Business is crazy right now... it's been hectic...," said Taylor.
"But for other businesses in our area, rent is coming soon... I'm concerned."
According to the data, retail employees make up roughly 10% of all those privately employed across the Bay Area.
Take a look at for a look at more stories by the ABC7 News I-Team.
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- COVID-19 Help: Comprehensive list of resources, information
- INTERACTIVE TIMELINE: How close was CA to becoming a NY-level crisis?
- Live updates about coronavirus outbreak in US, around the world
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- How California's COVID-19 cases stack up against other hot spot states
- Everything you need to know about the Bay Area's shelter-in-place order
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area/
- List: Where can I get tested for COVID-19 in the Bay Area?
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during novel coronavirus pandemic
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Stimulus calculator: How much money should you expect from coronavirus relief bill
- WATCH: 'Race & Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation' virtual town hall about COVID-19 impact on Asian American community
- WATCH: 'Race & Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation' virtual town hall about COVID-19 impact on African American community
- What Bay Area tenants need to know about rent payments, eviction amid COVID-19 outbreak
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Symptoms, prevention, and how to prepare for a COVID-19 outbreak in the US
- List of stores, companies closing due to coronavirus pandemic
- Canceled late fees, free services available amid COVID-19 crisis
- Here's how you can help during COVID-19 pandemic
- How to maintain learning during school closures
- No masks but here are 100+ products that may help protect you against novel coronavirus germs
- Here's a look at some of history's worst pandemics that have killed millions