From the Napa Valley floor, a ridge looked a lot like a smoking volcano.
Up close, it was a different story. The newest battleground on the Glass Fire is East of central Calistoga, burning across mountaintops and ravines. A CAL FIRE aerial attack started Sunday Morning.
VIDEO: Drive down Highway 29 shows damage to historic Napa County wineries
Highway 29 from Robert Louis Stevenson State Park to the Lake County line became a mandatory evacuation zone Sunday.
Bulldozers were racing to cut fire lines.
After days of red flag conditions, CAL FIRE says cooler temperatures may work in their favor.
"We are seeing some relief in the weather, but it's going to be 3 to 4 days before it makes a difference," said CAL FIRE Incident Meteorologist Tom Bird.
LIST: North Bay wildfires prompt evacuation orders & warnings in Napa, Sonoma counties
Thousands of evacuees are still out of their homes. V. Sattui Winery in St. Helena was reaching out with free lunches.
"Everyone has to do their part to help each other, that's what makes the Napa Valley so great," said V. Sattui President Tom Davies.
Rachel Ortega and her dog Bubbie were anxious to return home to Calistoga.
"I'm stressed out at the most, keeping me going is knowing our home is still there," Ortega said.
RELATED: Record-breaking California wildfires surpass 4 million acres burned
But Brian Yates has nothing to return to.
"It roared through taking everybody's place," said Yates.
Pictures show rubble that was Yates' family home on Deer Park Road. The Glass fire took all of Daughter Cailtin's memories with it.
All the family photos, all the furniture gone, incinerated," said Caitlin Yates Olsen.
Now this family, like so many others.. focusing on what they still have.
"So everything is gone, but I still have my dad," said Yates Olsen.
App users: For a better experience, click here to view the full map in a new window
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Track wildfires across Bay Area, California with this interactive map
- What we know about the fires burning in the North Bay
- Map shows wineries, landmarks destroyed by Glass Fire
- LIST: Wildfires prompt evacuation orders & warnings in Napa, Sonoma counties
- Track air quality levels impacted by smoke from wildfires
- Video shows smoke, flames in wine country as Glass Incident, other fires rage
- VIDEO: Enormous plumes of smoke, orange haze from Glass Fire in North Bay
- Video shows massive destruction from North Bay Glass Incident Fire
- WATCH: Staggering footage shows lightning storm that started complex fires
- How to prepare for a wildfire evacuation
- Comparing the 10 biggest wildfires in California history
- Most destructive California wildfires in history
- Camp Fire is deadliest wildfire in California history
- How are wildfires started? A look at the causes of some of the worst in California history
- Safety tips to remember when returning home after wildfire
- How to prepare your pets in case of disaster
- The difference between containing and controlling a wildfire