People who are in close proximity on sidewalks and in tents, inside shelters, or even living in shared spaces, like SRO's, are all extremely vulnerable to communicable diseases.
"A lot of lung disease and heart disease, a lot of people are living with cancer while they're homeless, so I'm really worried about their susceptibility to the severe complications of coronavirus," said Dr. Margot Kushel, director of the UCSF Center for Vulnerable Populations.
Dr. Kushel was traveling Monday and spoke to ABC7 via Facetime about her concerns.
RELATED: What to know about COVID-19 in California, how it's affecting San Francisco Bay Area
"We know that people who experience homelessness experience death rates that are extraordinarily higher than they otherwise would be if they were housed... and I think with a crisis like this... our fear is that it could come to bear in this as well."
More than 4,000 homeless people receive services in the Tenderloin everyday, so experts say installing hand washing stations on the streets would be a very effective way to help combat coronavirus.
"At the very least a big solid rack of hand washing stations at the major soup kitchens," said Jennifer Friedenbach, the executive director of the Coalition on Homelessness in San Francisco.
"We literally have thousands of people in San Francisco that don't have regular access to water."
EXCLUSIVE: Confusion over coronavirus doctor's note ruins Bay Area couple's vacation
Friedenbach also says communities need to open emergency shelters... "so people can have a place to recover."
"It's a nightmare for folks. They're really scared."
Another question and concern about coronavirus, as it relates to the homeless population, is if there will be enough space in hospitals for the influx of patients in the event of an outbreak.
On Monday, San Francisco's Department of Emergency Management said they were working on implementing a plan to help protect the city's homeless population, but were not yet ready to release any details.
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Coronavirus: Cancellations, suspensions and shortages related to the global virus outbreak
- Everything Americans need to know about coronavirus
- Coronavirus Prevention: How to properly wash your hands
- Busting COVID-19 coronavirus myths: Facts from the Centers for Disease Control
- Here's a look at some of history's worst pandemics that have killed millions
- Coronavirus Outbreak: 7 questions answered
- Is the new COVID-19 virus more 'deadly' than flu? Not exactly
- Coronavirus outbreak: Health expert shares tips for preparedness, emergency supply list to stay healthy
- Coronavirus: SF artist creates realistic-looking custom respirator masks that unlocks iPhones
- Coronavirus outbreak: SF doctor explains how to protect yourself, stay healthy
- Coronavirus: SF State educator addresses xenophobia in the Bay Area
- SF Mayor London Breed explains declaring state of emergency over coronavirus