"The next seven, eight, nine, 10 days, we're going to experience record breaking temperatures," the governor said. "That means we can all be thoughtful about our electricity and energy consumption. So if you want to remind your kids that when you walk out of a room to turn the lights off, this is the time to do it."
The California Independent System Operator has issued a statewide Flex Alert, asking residents to conserve power if at all possible between 3 p.m. and 8 p.m.
RELATED: Gov. Newsom calls out 'spring break'-sized crowds at local river amid COVID-19 pandemic
Amid the heat wave, there's also concern that Californians will take their masks off in public places when it gets too hot.
On Wednesday, Newsom expressed frustration with Californians who still aren't social distancing amid the pandemic.
He said crowds at the American River near Sacramento recently made it look like "spring break."
"We're not minimizing mixing. It throws shivers up my spine," said Newsom. "Here we are making all this progress, and it can be done away."
VIDEO:Lake Tahoe residents plan protests over surge of tourists
Gov. Newsom reported 7,934 new COVID-19 cases over the past 24 hours, but that number still includes a lot of backlogged cases that hadn't yet been tallied. A data glitch on July 25 left 295,000 health records - many of them COVID-19 tests - unprocessed. The glitch led to an underreporting of new coronavirus cases.
VIDEO: Newsom says CA backlogged COVID-19 cases fully reported
The state's county watch list has been frozen as the state straightens out the inaccurate COVID-19 data. As California has finally counted all the backlogged cases as of Friday, the governor said the watch list would be unfrozen as soon as Monday.
Unfreezing the watch list may get some counties off of it, and open the door for reopening classrooms in the coming weeks.
App users: For a better experience, click here to view the full map in a new window
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- COVID-19 Help: Comprehensive list of resources, information
- California EDD: The most commonly asked questions we get about unemployment and PUA
- Watch list: Counties where COVID-19 is getting worse
- MAP: Everything that's open, forced to close in Bay Area
- Here's which mask is better to protect from COVID-19
- First COVID-19 vaccine volunteers in US describe experience as Bay Area launches vaccine trials
- From salons to dinner parties: Experts rate the risk of 12 activities
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during novel coronavirus pandemic
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic