MARIN COUNTY, Calif. (KGO) -- With summer on its way out, public health officials in the North Bay are warning about a possible fifth COVID surge, just in time for fall gatherings and kids' Halloween parties.
The colors of fall are taking over the Mill Valley Flower Shop where Blair Phillips is always trying to keep her staff safe.
"We're all fully vaccinated here, drivers and designers and set up people," said Phillips.
Pumpkins and cobweb decorations are making a comeback. But Marin County health officials say that's not the only thing. COVID may be ready to surge again, just in time for Halloween.
"People because of the weather will move indoors, it's a holiday targeting age group, 5-11 who remain unvaccinated," said Marin County Deputy Public Officer Dr. Lisa Santora.
Dr. Santora says Halloween parties and fall gatherings could bring a fifth COVID surge to a county where 90% of the population is vaccinated. But those who are not, still pose a risk to others.
"If we see more cases among unvaccinated we are at higher risk of having challenges to capacity at hospitals to meet the needs of our community," Santora added.
"I'm scared about trick-or-treating, it might trigger another spike," said parent Shiela Paugh from Sausalito.
Paugh is rethinking Halloween.
Mill Valley Peditrician Dr. Lisa Dana has her own concerns.
"Especially in our unvaccinated population, kids are trick-or-treating, masks come off, eating candy," said Dana.
Dr. Dana tells families to be cautious but don't stop living life, especially during a scary-fun time of year.
"It's important for all adults in a child's life to be vaccinated, it's a great way to keep a family safe," Dana added.
VACCINE TRACKER: How California is doing, when you can get a coronavirus vaccine
Having trouble loading the tracker above? Click here to open it in a new window.
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Map shows everywhere you can get a COVID-19 test in the Bay Area
- Mask mandates are back in Bay Area, so what's the safest one to wear? Here's what doctor says
- Here's everything you need to know about COVID-19 booster shots
- What we know about the delta variant of COVID-19 following new CDC report
- Lambda and delta plus: What to know about other COVID variants detected in US
- How to show proof of vaccination in San Francisco or anywhere in California
- Should vaccinated people get tested if exposed to COVID-19? CDC explains
- Can a breakthrough infection still lead to long haul COVID-19? San Francisco doctor explains
- CA COVID-19 Vaccine Tracker: See your status here
- These CA counties are way ahead in vaccinations
- Data tracker: Coronavirus cases, deaths, hospitalizations in every Bay Area county
- Get the latest updates on California EDD, stimulus checks, unemployment benefits
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area