It happened at around 3pm at a kiosk that was selling them. Shoppers reported hearing the loud boom, then saw flames coming from the hoverboard.
"We heard what we thought was a bomb," said shopper Amanda Rucka. "We ran out to see, of course, to see what it was and it was actually a hoverboard that caught on fire and it was the batteries that were blowing up, not a bomb."
A worker at a mall store came out with a fire extinguisher and put out the flames, but the smoke was thick and a portion of the mall was evacuated for about an hour.
Deerbrook Mall issued a statement Monday afternoon, saying ""This afternoon there was an incident with a hoverboard at Deerbrook Mall, which resulted in a small fire that was quickly contained. As a precaution, the Humble Fire Department responded. Thankfully, there were no injuries or property damage and Deerbrook Mall remains open at this time."
No injuries were reported.
To get alerts for breaking news, download the ABC7 News app for iPhone or Android. You can also get breaking news alerts sent to you by email.