Former 49ers DE Ray McDonald arrested again

KGO logo
Wednesday, May 27, 2015
Former 49ers DE Ray McDonald arrested again
Former San Francisco 49ers defensive end Ray McDonald was arrested on Wednesday in Santa Clara for violating a restraining order.

SANTA CLARA, Calif. (KGO) -- Santa Clara police arrested former San Francisco 49ers defensive end Ray McDonald for the second time this week.

Police say McDonald violated a restraining order by going to a home in Santa Clara on Wednesday.

The restraining order was issued as result of McDonald's earlier domestic violence and child endangerment arrest on Monday.

After hearing he went to the house in Santa Clara, detectives found McDonald at a nearby Togo's Sandwiches on Tasman Drive and Lick Mill Boulevard. An employee there said he looked a bit distraught and went in and out of the store a few times and was on his phone.

Authorities say he was arrested without incident and transported to the Santa Clara Police Department.

Wednesday evening he was escorted out of the jail by Aladdin Bail Bonds who was waiting for hours to come out of the jail doors.

This is McDonald's fourth arrest in a year. His case is now being turned over to the district attorney's office.

McDonald was released Monday from the Chicago Bears after his domestic violence arrest that police say stemmed from an assault on a woman who was holding a baby.

Chicago Bears chairman George McCaskey says he repeatedly second-guessed his decision to approve the McDonald signing and asked himself what he could have done differently.

McCaskey thought the Bears were thorough before signing the defensive end to a one-year deal in late March and had the safeguards in place to make the move work. He says he's asked himself what more he could have done before signing off on bringing in McDonald. McCaskey adds that it does not impact his confidence in new general manager Ryan Pace.

Click here for full coverage on Ray McDonald.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.