SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- New purple tier COVID-19 restrictions took effect Sunday in San Francisco.
San Francisco Catholic Archbishop Salvatore Cordileone ended the last indoor, in-person mass for a while at St. Mary's Cathedral -- he wasn't pleased.
"We're a sacramental church, you can't live stream holy communion," said Cordileone.
App users: For a better experience, click here to view the full map in a new window
Cordileone understands the city's move to purple tier means an end to indoor worship but he says the church has proven it can safely social distance in a cathedral which normally seats 2,500 people.
"It's hard to have one policy for all churches, I'd like to see a policy that errs on the side of safety but also respects our first amendment rights to worship in a safe way," he added.
The Archbishop doesn't rule out a legal challenge to the restrictions.
Gyms must close or operate outdoors, but that's almost impossible for Planet Granite indoor climbing gym in the Presidio, that's now forced to make tough choices for the second time.
"It's going to force us to furlough the staff again, hopefully, the shutdown won't last as long as the previous one," said gym director Joey Luna.
Gym member Antonio Majia added, "It makes sense with the current COVID climate it has to close again, it's sad, rock climbing is a community sport."
In Golden Gate Park, top attractions like the De Young Museum and California Academy of Sciences are locked up tight due to the health order. The new SkyStar Observation Wheel has stopped turning, closed temporarily after debuting only last month.
"I feel so sad, I came to see the attraction, closed because of (the) pandemic," said Gloria Fabian from San Francisco.
Many know their favorite spots will return. For now, it's time to pay attention and help flatten that curve.
"I think people who aren't wearing masks need to be mindful, people are dying," said Jenny Kwak from San Bruno.
A mandatory 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. curfew begins in San Francisco Monday.
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Map: CA counties that can, can't reopen under new rules
- COVID-19 risk calculator: The safest and most dangerous things to do this holiday season
- Want to get a COVID-19 test in time for the holidays? Here's what you need to know
- Updated number of COVID-19 deaths, cases in Bay Area
- Map shows everywhere you can get a COVID-19 test in the Bay Area
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during pandemic
- California EDD: The most commonly asked questions we get about unemployment and PUA
- Health experts urge flu shots in effort to avoid 'twindemic'
- How to tell the difference between seasonal allergies and coronavirus symptoms
- Here's which mask is better to protect from COVID-19
- First COVID-19 vaccine volunteers in US describe experience as Bay Area launches vaccine trials
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic