This has already led to confusion in Marin County for people who work in the gray area, which the state describes as limited services, where workers may not come into contact with customers.
INTERACTIVE MAP: What's shutting back down, still open during Bay Area stay-at-home orders
"Gray feels pretty uninformed," said Blake Johnson.
He runs Toscalito Tire and Automotive, where they flew the flag at half-staff today in honor of Pearl Harbor.
Tomorrow remains a mystery.
"We have not received any notice from the county," Johnson said.
For good reason.
"Right now we are trying to interpret some of these gray areas," said Marin County Spokesperson Lainey Hendricks. "This is a different order from what we saw last March."
VIDEO: CA could vaccinate 1 million people against COVID-19 this month
Marin County is in an unusual position because it is closing down voluntarily.
That means it may not have to follow state guidelines to the letter. These apply especially to limited services like auto repair shops, dry cleaning services, or pet services, which include Ziggy's Pet Grooming.
"Rents are high. It would be scary to not be working," said owner Elena Orellana.
"We have two people working," she said.
RELATED: Map shows which counties can, can't reopen under stay-at-home order
As the county studies options, Elena still doesn't know her status for the stay-at-home, but can ill afford to not work. COVID-19 shut her down last spring. Such a move made no sense to her then, and wouldn't now.
"Supposedly dogs cannot get sick and they can't transmit it," she said.
With that, she resumed her work on a shaggy 16 year-old-dog named Doyle, who needed his nails trimmed.
"That's what I describe as essential," said Michael Clagett, who has owned the dog since childhood. "Getting stuff like this done does not interfere with health. There is plenty of room inside. People can keep their space."
But will they be able to continue working?
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here. Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Map: CA counties that can, can't reopen under new rules
- COVID-19 risk calculator: The safest and most dangerous things to do this holiday season
- Updated number of COVID-19 deaths, cases in Bay Area
- COVID-19 Help: Comprehensive list of resources, information
- California EDD: The most commonly asked questions we get about unemployment and PUA
- Health experts urge flu shots in effort to avoid 'twindemic'
- How to tell the difference between seasonal allergies and coronavirus symptoms
- Here's which mask is better to protect from COVID-19
- First COVID-19 vaccine volunteers in US describe experience as Bay Area launches vaccine trials
- From salons to dinner parties: Experts rate the risk of 12 activities
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during novel coronavirus pandemic
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic