"We don't get many Atmospheric River events in May," said Nicco.
On Saturday, the Bay Area will be hit with a 1 on the Storm Impact Scale, followed by more rain Sunday and Monday.
RELATED: How meteorologists calculate ABC7 Storm Impact Scale
Nicco's AccuWeather forecast shows light to moderate rain will move into the North Bay Saturday afternoon.
"Expect several hours of rain in the North Bay during the overnight hours. The rain will start to move south as we head into Sunday" said Nicco. "The rain will turn into showers Sunday night with a chance of thunderstorms into Monday."
Small hail is possible.
"We have a chance of lingering showers Tuesday before we see warmer and dryer weather on Wednesday," said Nicco.
*Atmospheric River* in May...— Mike Nicco (@MikeNiccoABC7) May 15, 2020
Forecast models show it pounding parts of North Bay, couple inches of rain this weekend.
New 7 day forecast: https://t.co/DBQ6frUdvA#AtmosphericRiver#Update pic.twitter.com/xwbfu6PS1J
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- VIDEO: Watch the latest AccuWeather forecast
- How to prepare your home for winter storms
- TIPS: How do you recover from hydroplaning?
- TIPS: Here's how to use sandbags and prevent flooding
- Planning a snow trip? Check out these Sierra driving tips from the pros
- How to drive safely in snow
- Tips to help you drive in dense fog
- Tips for staying safe while hitting the slopes