Gas leaks sends three to hospital

January 2, 2009 2:11:38 PM PST
Three Vallejo residents were hospitalized on New Year's Day after a household wall heater leaked unsafe levels of carbon monoxide into a home, the fire department announced Friday.

Firefighters responded to a house at 532 Cypress Ave. at about 9:30 p.m. where a 61-year-old woman was reported to be sick and in need of medical attention, Vallejo Fire Department spokesman William Tweedy said.

Firefighters, immediately detecting the smell of natural gas, searched the home and discovered a 43-year-old woman incapacitated in a bedroom, Tweedy said. Both women were evacuated and taken to a hospital to be treated for carbon monoxide poisoning.

Neighbors informed firemen that a 3-year-old boy had already been evacuated to a neighbor's house to be cared for while his mother was sick, Tweedy said. The boy also showed signs of carbon monoxide poisoning and was taken to Solano Sutter Medical Center with the two women.

Pacific Gas and Electric Co. crews were called and shut down natural gas flow into the home.

The 61-year-old woman remains hospitalized in stable condition Friday, while the other two victims were released, Tweedy said.


Load Comments