PG&E says a worker doing routine maintenance broke a residential service line around 1:15 p.m.
As a precautionary measure, local authorities went door-to-door, evacuating nearby homes. The homeowner where the gas leak came from told us what happened.
"We suspected a leak and the PG&E guy came to take a look at it," Milpitas resident Rajesh Mittal said. "And he was checking the main line. And he tried to shut off the main line valve, I guess. There was a sound. And I think the cover got popped off. And he couldn't turn off the gas."
Residents were allowed to return home after a few hours.
There were no reports of injuries.