There's a reason why the United States Men's National Team are underdogs in Group G, also known as the "Group of Death." They are in a group with teams (Ghana, Portugal, Germany) that have some of the best players in the world, and one that actually does have the best player in the world - Portugal's Cristiano Ronaldo. The Yanks won't be able to catch breaks against any of the teams in their group. Here are the things that could go disastrously wrong for Team USA during the World Cup:
1. If they don't get a result against Ghana in Group Stages: The Americans need a win or tie against Ghana because it won't get easier after that, as they face powerhouses Portugal and Germany.
2. Defensive struggles: Not finding the right fit on defense would give goalkeeper Tim Howard nightmares. It would be a goal-fest for opposing teams.
3. No production out of forwards: If the Americans don't get goals out of their forwards, then Klinsmann's decision to move on from Landon Donovan would surely be one of the biggest mistakes in U.S. Soccer's history.
4. Midfielder Jermaine Jones doesn't play his role: He is the enforcer and glue that holds the United States midfield together. Being the first line of defense, Jones can't be constantly caught roaming up the field or else he will cost his fellow defenders a lot of pressure in the back.
5. If role players don't provide a spark: Production off the bench is a necessity, especially when players are playing in Brazil's stifling summer heat.
6. Can't stop Ronaldo in Group Stages: Stopping the best player in the world won't be easy an easy task. If Ronaldo zooms by defenders with ease and continues scoring goals, then the Americans will be in a world of trouble. This won't translate well into their following game against star-studded Germany.
Top 6 Reasons Why USA Will Lose in World Cup