"We're going to be a skeleton crew for a while just to get by," says Tin Le, owner of SP2 Communal Bar and Restaurant in San Jose, where sales are 80% compared to what they'd normally be this time of year.
RELATED: 5 Bay Area counties enacting stay-at-home order starting Sunday, not waiting for state's timeline
Despite the struggle, Le plans to adapt once again to offer craft cocktails for takeout.
"We don't know how much time we have to operate, we don't know how much revenue is going to be brought in, (and) so our runway is pretty limited," said Le.
In Campbell, Sushi Confidential spent $15,000 building out an outdoor dining patio, which will need to be closed once the stay-at-home order takes effect.
"We were hoping get a couple more weeks out of this with all the projections," said Sushi Confidential owner Randy Musterer.
RELATED: Here's what will close under the Bay Area stay-at-home order
Musterer says he'll have to lay off the majority of his staff, which is something he wanted to avoid during the holiday season. But to keep some folks on the payroll, he'll soon launch a new happy hour menu as part of a ramped-up takeout program.
He has also created a sushi-making kit to encourage customers to try something different.
"Whether this lasts three weeks or three months, this could be the nail in the coffin for a lot of restaurants," added Musterer.
The outdoor dining tent at Flights Restaurant in Los Gatos is being disassembled this weekend, but will soon be replaced with a winter wonderland retail experience, which will include access to basic groceries, meal kits, and even drive-by visits with Santa.
"One day you're feeling excited because you have a new idea and you're going to try to do something, and then the next day you feel empty and broken and broke," said Flights owner Alex Hult. "I'm losing hope for what's going to happen if we don't get help."
VIDEO: 'We worked so hard': Devastated small business owners in the East Bay react to new shutdown
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here. Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Map: CA counties that can, can't reopen under new rules
- COVID-19 risk calculator: The safest and most dangerous things to do this holiday season
- Updated number of COVID-19 deaths, cases in Bay Area
- COVID-19 Help: Comprehensive list of resources, information
- California EDD: The most commonly asked questions we get about unemployment and PUA
- Health experts urge flu shots in effort to avoid 'twindemic'
- How to tell the difference between seasonal allergies and coronavirus symptoms
- Here's which mask is better to protect from COVID-19
- First COVID-19 vaccine volunteers in US describe experience as Bay Area launches vaccine trials
- From salons to dinner parties: Experts rate the risk of 12 activities
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during novel coronavirus pandemic
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic