The state released much-awaited guidance for colleges and universities to be able to resume on-campus classes and intramural sports.
Most institutions have opted for virtual classes, making the decision following weeks of a lack of guidance from the state. The Cal State University system made the announcement in May.
Most indoor lectures won't be allowed if the county the school is in is on the state's data monitoring list.
RELATED: Bay Area students torn over 'Zoom U' as universities restart with online instruction
The main points of this guidance include:
BUILDING A BETTER BAY AREA: Back to school
The guidance also includes collegiate athletics. Some requirements include masks for coaches, staff and players not engaged in a match. Practice can resume with periodic COVID-19 testing of athletes and staff.
Teams can also resume games, but without spectators. And for high contact sports, schools must share virus testing results with each other within 72 hours of competition.
VIDEO: If everyone wore masks, US would have COVID-19 under control in 4-8 weeks, CDC director says
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic hereRELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- COVID-19 Help: Comprehensive list of resources, information
- Watch list: Counties where COVID-19 is getting worse
- MAP: Everything that's open, forced to close in Bay Area
- Everything to know about CA's confusing reopening plan, summer shutdown and what comes next
- From salons to dinner parties:Experts rate the risk of 12 activities
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- Life after COVID-19: Here's what restaurants, gyms will look like
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get aCOVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- Experts compare face shield vs. face mask effectiveness
- COVID-19Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during novel coronavirus pandemic
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic