RELATED: Everything to know about California's confusing new stay-at-home order
It's a rare bird indeed to see a restaurant grand opening during the shelter-in-place order in Downtown Oakland. And there was quite a crowd on Tuesday, all wearing masks and distancing as they waited for Shake Shack favorites.
The manager held up the bait saying, "This is a "golden state double - It has garlic aoli in it and white cheese and pickles."
Shake Shack has other Bay Area locations and they felt that they had the perfect recipe for opening here in a pandemic as another take out business to help the community.
VIDEO: CA restaurant owner claims to find 'loophole' to remain open during COVID-19 shelter order
Abby Tan, the Oakland Shake Shack Manager said, "We get to hire a lot of people in spite of it's a time a lot of people get laid off. So this is an opportunity to give people a chance to work."
But it's not just corporations that see this time and place as a moment to realize their dream.
Carey Richardson drove all the over from Daly City to Berkeley to pick up a "Queen Emma" cake for his wife's birthday from a new place called Ono Bakehouse.
We were hearing about this cake from all our friends," he said.
RELATED: CA breaks ICU hospitalization record for 5th straight day
Desiree Valencia is the owner of Ono Bakehouse. She said it's scary to open up in a pandemic because, "You just don't know what's going to happen next week, next month, next year and when you open a business you should know what's going to happen in the next five years."
The pandemic allowed Valencia to seize this opportunity to use her California ingredients to make Hawaiian pastries.
"Unfortunately a lot of places are closing so a lot of things are going on the market for a lot less than they normally be going for and there's a lot less competition to get those places," she said.
She fearlessly opens Friday, offering inspiration to customers. One said "With all the negativity, right now, I think it's great, it gives us hope you know?"
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here. Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Map: CA counties that can, can't reopen under new rules
- COVID-19 risk calculator: The safest and most dangerous things to do this holiday season
- Updated number of COVID-19 deaths, cases in Bay Area
- COVID-19 Help: Comprehensive list of resources, information
- California EDD: The most commonly asked questions we get about unemployment and PUA
- Health experts urge flu shots in effort to avoid 'twindemic'
- How to tell the difference between seasonal allergies and coronavirus symptoms
- Here's which mask is better to protect from COVID-19
- First COVID-19 vaccine volunteers in US describe experience as Bay Area launches vaccine trials
- From salons to dinner parties: Experts rate the risk of 12 activities
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during novel coronavirus pandemic
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic