PALMDALE, Calif. -- The pandemic has taken a toll on so many families.
Like the Martinez family of Palmdale: They lost their mother, leaving a teenage son to care for his five younger brothers and sisters.
At 19 years old, Juan Martinez is now making decisions no teenager should have to face.
His mother Brenda Lopez, just 43, lost her life to COVID-19.
"I'll remember my mom as a caring person, a loving person and just a great person," Martinez said.
Martinez says he and his mom were the first to become sick last August.
"We isolated in our bedrooms and a couple days went by to where my mother felt shortness of breath so I decided to call 911 and she went to the hospital."
Martinez says his five other siblings, ranging in age from 2 to 15, also tested positive but showed no symptoms.
His mother's condition, however, started to decline.
"After her heart stopped, they had to sedate her. Another couple of days went by and both of her lungs began to collapse. She started to get kidney failure."
Martinez recalls getting a call from the hospital.
"They were already performing CPR several times on my mother and 9:30 p.m. came around and they checked for a pulse and there was nothing."
The children buried their mother on Sept. 25.
Martinez is now caring for his brothers and sisters. The father of their 2-year-old brother has custody of him.
A GoFundMe has been set up for the children and so far it's raised about $100,000.
"The community has really helped a lot and we're grateful for that and we appreciate everyone."
"I'm using that for the holidays and the future in school. I want to do what my mom would have done for them."
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Map: CA counties that can, can't reopen under new rules
- COVID-19 risk calculator: The safest and most dangerous things to do this holiday season
- Updated number of COVID-19 deaths, cases in Bay Area
- COVID-19 Help: Comprehensive list of resources, information
- California EDD: The most commonly asked questions we get about unemployment and PUA
- Health experts urge flu shots in effort to avoid 'twindemic'
- How to tell the difference between seasonal allergies and coronavirus symptoms
- Here's which mask is better to protect from COVID-19
- First COVID-19 vaccine volunteers in US describe experience as Bay Area launches vaccine trials
- From salons to dinner parties: Experts rate the risk of 12 activities
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during novel coronavirus pandemic
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic