Reaction immediately poured in from leaders and supporters in the Bay Area and around California, many of them celebrating the ascendance of one of Oakland's own to the second highest office in the land.
LIVE COVERAGE: Joe Biden takes helm as president, Kamala Harris now 1st female VP
For San Francisco Mayor London Breed, the swearing in of Kamala Harris was personal.
"The joy I feel is overwhelming with the swearing-in of Kamala Harris as our Vice-President," said Breed. "I join millions of women across the country in finally seeing a woman take the oath for one of the highest offices in the country. I join millions of Black women across this country in seeing Vice-President Harris take a seat at the table that so many have fought to secure for so long."
"Today is a proud day for our country," she said. "We are breaking barriers and we are bringing real leadership back to the White House."
"Today is a hopeful and inspiring day in America," echoed Gov. Gavin Newsom. "I stand with the President in his clarion call for unity and healing, to once again listen to and respect our fellow Americans, to 'end this uncivil war.'"
Newsom went on to say California is ready to partner with the new Biden-Harris administration in the ongoing COVID-19 fight.
It is a hopeful and inspiring day in America.— Gavin Newsom (@GavinNewsom) January 20, 2021
Our country is rooted in our democratic ideals and the peaceful transfer of power.
Today, history was made with President Joe Biden & CA’s Vice President Kamala Harris.
Now, we come together to become the America we know we can be.
Today is a new day for America. pic.twitter.com/BHvF7bNxFE— London Breed (@LondonBreed) January 20, 2021
In the depths of our crisis, it can be tempting--and perilous--to believe we're inaugurating a savior today. The Constitution doesn't entitle us to saviors, though--only to people who muster their best ideas, energy, and spirit to lead. (1/3) https://t.co/5cQLUcm55Z— Sam Liccardo (@sliccardo) January 20, 2021
Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) also tweeted his congratulations, saying, "Now we must get to work to solve the challenges facing our country. We are all Americans, and together we will succeed, as we have for more than 230 years."
Congratulations to President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris.— Kevin McCarthy (@GOPLeader) January 20, 2021
Now we must get to work to solve the challenges facing our country. We are all Americans, and together we will succeed, as we have for more than 230 years.
Watch the video above for more reactions from local leaders.
RELATED INAUGURATION STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Joe Biden's inauguration: Everything to know about date, time, performers
- What does the presidential oath of office that's read during the inauguration say?
- Joe Biden will be sworn in with family Bible during inauguration
- First official act: Joe Biden signing executive orders on pandemic, climate, immigration
- Kamala Harris: Watch her journey from Berkeley to become 1st Black, Asian woman elected to vice presidency
- Kamala Harris' sorority sisters reflect on their friend's historic journey
- President-elect Biden's inaugural address: What he plans to say
- Donald Trump leaves White House for last time as president, says departure 'not a long term goodbye'
- Read the letters outgoing Presidents left for their successors in the Oval Office
- How the Bush family handled their presidential transitions of power
- @POTUS Twitter account to be transferred to Joe Biden, but no followers
- Trump joins these other presidents who have skipped inaugurations
- Joe Biden inauguration theme will be 'America United'
- The long, painful road that brought President-elect Biden to Oval Office
- How White House staff moves one president in, another out in just 5 hours