RELATED: Here's which CA counties can reopen schools, salons amid COVID-19 pandemic
"Despite our best efforts we have lost control of the coronavirus," says State Sen. Steve Glazer, who represents parts of Contra Costa and Alameda counties. "This virus moves from people, and if we shut down that movement we can flatten the curve, which we haven't been able to do yet."
He thinks counties where the testing positivity rate is over 2% should have strict stay-at-home orders. For reference, the positivity rate, which is the percentage of those tested for COVID-19 that turn back a positive result, has been around 7% in California for several weeks.
"We have a cancer in our body. You can't solve it by putting a Band-aid on a pinkie finger. You have to take the chemo. You have to take the tough medicine," says Glazer.
Glazer says many of his constituents are frustrated that schools won't be reopening for in-person instruction in the fall in the vast majority of the state. He believes the only way to make that happen is to return to a lockdown-like state, and completely wipe out the coronavirus.
RELATED: Everything to know about California's confusing coronavirus reopening plan, summer shutdown and what comes next
He supports mask mandates - accompanied by strong enforcement - but says we've seen that isn't enough.
"The reason we're even talking bout a shelter-in-place is because the tools in the toolbox aren't working."
More than 100 medical experts, including several UCSF and UC Berkeley professors, have signed an open letter asking the U.S. government to "hit the reset button" and to "shut it down, start over, do it right."
See the full interview with State Sen. Glazer in the video at the top of this story.
INTERACTIVE: Here's the reopening status of every Bay Area county
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- COVID-19 Help: Comprehensive list of resources, information
- Watch list: Counties where COVID-19 is getting worse
- MAP: Everything that's open, forced to close in Bay Area
- Everything to know about CA's confusing reopening plan, summer shutdown and what comes next
- From salons to dinner parties: Experts rate the risk of 12 activities
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- Life after COVID-19: Here's what restaurants, gyms will look like
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- Experts compare face shield vs. face mask effectiveness
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during novel coronavirus pandemic
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic