ABC7 News Special Correspondent Doctor Alok Patel says we are finding more mild and asymptomatic cases, but positivity rates are also going up -- that means a greater proportion of COVID-19 tests are turning positive.
CORONAVIRUS NEWS LIVE 3PM: ABC7 coverage of COVID-19 pandemic in Bay Area
The World Health Organization (WHO) says the positivity rate of tests should be below 5% for two weeks before businesses reopen. But according to Johns Hopkins, the positivity rate is above 5% in more than 20 states including Arizona, Alabama, Florida, Texas and Georgia.
Hospitalizations are also rising in several states, even reaching new records. Dr. Patel points out that has nothing to do with testing more.
RELATED: California sees surge in COVID-19 cases as more Bay Area businesses reopen
Dr. Patel says other reasons include businesses are reopening, there's quarantine fatigue, and people aren't wearing masks.
"Say no to throwing a house party; eat outdoors, physically distance, and remind your Facebook friend who refuses to wear a mask because it's 'no big deal' that we're very much in the first wave of this pandemic," Patel said.
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here and take a look at all of the Doctor's Note segments from Dr. Alok Patel here
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- COVID-19 Help: Comprehensive list of resources, information
- When will the San Francisco Bay Area reopen? Track progress on 6 key metrics to reopening here
- Everything we know about CA businesses opening and what comes next
- Life after COVID-19: Here's what restaurants, gyms will look like
- Here's everything allowed to open in CA (and what we're still waiting on)
- WATCH LIVE: Daily briefings from CA, Bay Area officials
- INTERACTIVE TIMELINE: How close was CA to becoming a NY-level crisis?
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- Everything you need to know about the Bay Area's shelter-in-place order
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- List: Where can I get tested for COVID-19 in the Bay Area?
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during novel coronavirus pandemic
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- WATCH: 'Race & Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation' virtual town hall about COVID-19 impact on Asian American community
- WATCH: 'Race & Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation' virtual town hall about COVID-19 impact on African American community
- WATCH: 'Race & Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation' virtual town hall about COVID-19 impact on Latino community
- WATCH: 'Your Mental Health: A Bay Area Conversation' virtual town hall addressing COVID-19 impact on mental health
- Symptoms, prevention, and how to prepare for a COVID-19 outbreak in the US
- List of stores, companies closing due to coronavirus pandemic
- Here's a look at some of history's worst pandemics that have killed millions