Morrow talked with ABC7 News anchor Kristen Sze on the 3 p.m. show, "Getting Answers."
"I actually really believe kids should be back in school," Morrow said. "There's lots of things that have been put into place to makes schools as safe a place as possible, probably more safe than if they're not in school."
Sze asked Morrow about the waivers to let elementary schools reopen for in-person learning. Although San Mateo County meets the requirements, Morrow says it's a very complicated process and he hopes to be in the position to allow schools to apply in September.
WATCH LIST: 38 California counties where COVID-19 is getting worse
If it were up to Morrow, it wouldn't just be elementary schools that could apply, it would be all schools.
"If you look at the balance between keeping kids at home, the loss of education, their life trajectory, the economic outcome, the developmental outcome that are damaged by not having kids in school and you weigh that against the risk of transmission, I think overall it's much better to have kids in school with precautions in place than not at school," Morrow said.
Sze asked Morrow about high school students responding to COVID-19 similar to young adults.
"Teenagers who are not in school are going to engage in all the risky behaviors that teenagers engage in, I think they're actually safer in school in a structured environment," Morrow said.
As for the teachers and faculty, Morrow emphasized that the county's protocols at schools make him feel that it is as safe as it can be for students.
Watch the full interview and see previous epsidoes of ABC7 News at 3 p.m. here.
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic hereRELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- COVID-19 Help: Comprehensive list of resources, information
- Watch list: Counties where COVID-19 is getting worse
- MAP: Everything that's open, forced to close in Bay Area
- Everything to know about CA's confusing reopening plan, summer shutdown and what comes next
- From salons to dinner parties:Experts rate the risk of 12 activities
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- Life after COVID-19: Here's what restaurants, gyms will look like
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay athome orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- Experts compare face shield vs. face mask effectiveness
- COVID-19Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during novel coronavirus pandemic
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic