How these Bay Area cities are transforming intersections to crack down on illegal sideshows
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- There's a new effort to crack down on sideshows across the Bay Area.
The San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency (SFMTA) installed speed bumps in the middle of an intersection.
These are at Plymouth Avenue and Sadowa Street in the city's Oceanview neighborhood.
Oakland is trying a similar plan.
VIDEO: They're called 'Botts' Dots' and they could be the answer to deterring Oakland sideshows
Oakland is implementing a new strategy to deter sideshows from happening in some of their busiest intersections.
ABC7 News spoke with Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf about the effort to crack down on sideshows.
"We're trying to engineer the prevention of sideshows, and other cities have definitely been asking us about how these things have worked center, lines that are hardened, the new rubber speed bumps that can be installed rapidly, as well as these botts' dots that get harder to do the donuts in intersections," Schaaf said.
The SFMTA says it will weigh the effectiveness of the sideshow speed bumps and determine if there's a need for more.
Here are the intersections where speed bumps or botts' dots are installed in the Bay Area:
- 20th St/Folsom
- Plymouth/Sadowa: Corner bump outs
- Alemany/Geneva: Botts' dots in the intersection
- Fairfax between Keith and Newhall: Pending median treatment
- Galvez east of Donahue: Pending median treatment
- Barneveld/Loomis/McKinnon: Pending for intersection narrowing and islands
- 35th Avenue/MacArthur
- 42nd Avenue/International Blvd: OakDOT received an Encroachment Permit from Caltrans in August and is in the process of designing hardened centerlines for installation by the end of 2022.
- 42nd Avenue under I-880 (known as "the Pit")
- 106th Avenue/MacArthur: Installation is planned for Sept.r/Oct. 2022.
- 55th Avenue/Foothill
- 82nd Avenue/MacArthur
- Seminary Avenue/MacArthur
- 82nd Avenue/International: Intersection is in Caltrans right-of-way and treatments are subject to state approval
- 10th Street and Phelan Avenue
- Hellyer Avenue and Fontanoso Way
- Little Orchard Street and Barnard Avenue
- Lundy Avenue and Concourse Drive
- Mabury Road and Jackson Avenue
- Ruby Avenue and Tully Road
- Story Road and White Road
- Yerba Buena Road and Verona Road
If you're on the ABC7 News app, click here to watch live
Copyright © 2023 KGO-TV. All Rights Reserved.