The initiative is called "Eat, Sip and Be in RWC." The city has shut down some major streets in downtown, like Broadway, so restaurants can push their tables out to the sidewalk and street.
They have also positioned hand sanitizing stations at each intersection to try and stop the spread of COVID-19.
RELATED: Mayor London Breed says outdoor bars, indoor restaurant reopening delayed indefinitely
Indoor dining is allowed in San Mateo County. But people are feeling hesitant right now as the number of cases continues to rise.
"Well, I wouldn't go inside a restaurant right now. We have only dined in once outside, in San Carlos. We haven't thought anymore about going out because everything is so scary right now," said Redwood City resident Susanne Kyler.
Ron Wachter says he feels more comfortable eating outside.
RELATED: Coronavirus: Cities across Bay Area push for outdoor dining, post-pandemic
"I think it's about the airflow. And that can be troublesome if someone has COVID inside. So even though you think you are distanced, you might not be because of air flow," Wachter said Friday morning as he ate breakfast outside.
The closed off streets do have one side effect: it makes getting around tougher for drivers.
RELATED: Only one Bay Area county isn't allowing sit-down restaurants to reopen
"Right now, I have to go to the bank. And it was kind of a hassle. And then finding parking was a hassle as well," said Salvador Ramos of Redwood City.
But the hope is this inconvenience will be worth it for the survival of businesses that have been hit hard by the pandemic. The streets will be shut down until September 30.
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- COVID-19 Help: Comprehensive list of resources, information
- From salons to dinner parties:Experts rate the risk of 12 activities
- California reopening: Here's what's open, closed in the Bay Area
- Watch list: Counties where COVID-19 is getting worse
- When will the San Francisco Bay Area reopen? Track progress on 6 key metrics to reopening here
- Life after COVID-19: Here's what restaurants, gyms will look like
- Here's everything allowed to open in CA (and what we're still waiting on)
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay athome orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- Experts compare face shield vs. face mask effectiveness
- List: Where can I get tested for COVID-19 in the Bay Area?
- COVID-19Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during novel coronavirus pandemic
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic
- WATCH: ABC7 Listens 'From Anger To Action: A Bay Area Conversation'
- Symptoms, prevention, and how to prepare for a COVID-19 outbreak in the US