COVID-19 hospitalizations are up 29% since the start of September, from 51 patients to 76 patients, said Dr. Grant Colfax in a Tuesday press conference.
Colfax emphasized the city has adequate hospital capacity at the moment.
RELATED: 'Welcome back': San Francisco salons, gyms gear up to reopen indoors Monday
While the test positivity rate, or the proportion of people tested for COVID-19 that turn back a positive result, is a relatively low 2.4%, Colfax said the city is watching cases closely as more businesses are allowed to resume indoor operations.
Starting Monday, nail salons, tattoo shops and massage parlors in San Francisco were allowed to reopen indoors, as well as gyms and places of worship with limited capacity. Hair salons were allowed to reopen earlier this month.
"As people continue to move about the city and increase activities, we will likely experience an ongoing increase in cases," he said. "We're concerned and watching it again.'
INTERACTIVE: Here's the reopening status of every Bay Area county
App users: For a better experience, click here to view the story in a new window
There are even more reopenings tentatively slated for Sept. 21, including indoor museums and some elementary schools. There's concern that a return to school could lead to more community coronavirus transmission.
"I would not be surprised, even with the cautious measures that we're taking, that there will be COVID-19 cases diagnosed in school settings," said Colfax. "But we're doing everything we can to mitigate that risk."
Meanwhile, he and Mayor London Breed encouraged San Franciscans to do everything they can to curb the spread of the virus.
"I'm tired of talking about it," said Mayor Breed. "I'm tired of living in it. I'm tired of doing all the things that you are tired of doing because I want to enjoy my life. I want to live. I want to go back to normal. But unfortunately this is a deadly virus."
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic hereRELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- COVID-19 Help: Comprehensive list of resources, information
- Watch list: Counties where COVID-19 is getting worse
- MAP: Everything that's open, forced to close in Bay Area
- Everything to know about CA's confusing reopening plan, summer shutdown and what comes next
- From salons to dinner parties:Experts rate the risk of 12 activities
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- Life after COVID-19: Here's what restaurants, gyms will look like
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get aCOVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- Experts compare face shield vs. face mask effectiveness
- COVID-19Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during novel coronavirus pandemic
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic