SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Claims that there is a "slap an Asian" challenge going on in the Bay Area have put San Francisco police on alert.
Word of the so-called "challenge," in which people are told to slap people of Asian descent on public transit, has been spreading on social media this week. One viral post says a challenge-related assault occurred last Friday.
SFPD says it has not heard any reports of this happening, but "out of an abundance of caution" the agency has warned SFMTA, Muni, and other transit partners to look out for these instances of violence.
"We have not located any reports related to this post and we are not able to corroborate claims of a 'slap' challenge taking place in the Bay Area," SFPD said in a tweet. "We encourage anyone who becomes a victim of crime in San Francisco to file a police report. To report crimes in progress or other emergencies, the public should call 911."
VIDEO: How rise in Anti-Asian racism impacts mental health
The department reminded everyone that dispatchers and first responders have access to interpreters for those not fluent in English.
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Hundreds of people are volunteering to escort elderly Asian Americans to help keep them safe
- 'We're on alert': Volunteers arm Oakland Chinatown business owners with air horns for safety
- Bay Area Asian Americans share powerful, painful memories of hate
- 83-year-old Asian man describes debilitating SF attack, warns people 'to be careful'
- 'Go back to China': Racist rant suspect ID'd as daughter of late NY senator
- Asian American victim considers moving out of state after brutal attack in SF
- EXCLUSIVE: 75-year-old Asian man warned about increase in attacks days before murder in Oakland
- Daniel Dae Kim, members of Congress to testify on discrimination, violence against Asian Americans
- Asian grandma knocked unconscious in unprovoked attack in NY
- Family outraged over SF DA's description of 84-year-old Asian man's suspected killer
- Nearly 3,800 anti-Asian hate incidents reported across US since March 2020, group says
- 'This is horrific': SFPD to step up patrols amid string of violent attacks on Asian Americans
- Daniel Wu, W. Kamau Bell discuss shocking crimes against Asian Americans
- Santa Cruz Warriors guard Jeremy Lin comments on racial slur directed at him
- #StandForAsians rally draws hundreds in San Mateo with 7th grader leading the charge
- Actors Daniel Dae Kim, Daniel Wu discuss violent crimes against Asian Americans in Bay Area
- Police investigating after Asian man stabbed in back in NYC's Chinatown
- Burma Superstar offers $5,000 reward as ABC7 receives reports of additional attacks on Asian Americans
- EXCLUSIVE: Former Bay Area gang member arrested after threatening to kill Asians online
- Arrest in NYC assault on Chinese woman after Olivia Munn called for public's help