ALAMEDA, Calif. -- The Oakland Raiders have activated second-year defensive end Mario Edwards Jr. from injured reserve to the team's 53-man roster, making him eligible to play in Saturday's home game against the Indianapolis Colts.
Rookie outside linebacker Shilique Calhoun was placed on season-ending IR in the corresponding roster move.
The 6-foot-3, 280-pound Edwards, a second-round draft pick for the Raiders in 2015, played in 14 games as a rookie, starting 10, and had 2 sacks before a neck injury ended his season with two games remaining last year.
He was working back from the neck malady when he suffered a hip injury in the Raiders' preseason opener at the Arizona Cardinals.
The Raiders opened his 21-day window to begin practicing on Dec. 5.
"It will be fun to get out there and do that but it's all a process in how it's supposed to go and things like that," Edwards said at the time. "We're kind of just following the process and however my body's feeling or reacting or responding to it, then we go from there. But so far, so good.
"The things that I can't do, I won't. The things that I can, I will."
Raiders coach Jack Del Rio said on Thursday that Edwards had a "good" week of practice, while defensive coordinator Ken Norton Jr. said Edwards' "versatility" would help Oakland.
"He's a guy that really plays hard, really good, athletic person," Norton said. "Mario is very impactful. When he's in the game, you're going to know it. He's an impact player."