Women are especially vulnerable to financial challenges, but it's never too late to get wise. Marcia Brixey, author of "The Money Therapist: A Woman's Guide to Creating a Healthy Financial Life," explains how you can get more out of your money.
Economic challenges facing women
Women lose approximately 15 years from the workplace to take care of their children and parents, which results in fewer promotions, smaller paychecks and smaller pensions.
- It takes five years to make up for every year out of the workforce.
- According to one study an average caregiver loses $659,000 over a lifetime in reduced salary and benefits.
- Approximately 50% of first marriages end in divorce
- Approximately 58% of marriages end with the husband's death and the average age of widowhood is 56
- According to the 2000 Census women are more than four times more likely to be widowed than men
- Women outlive men by an average of seven to ten years
Getting out of Credit Card Debt
- Don't charge anything else on your credit cards.
- List your credit card debt including account number, balance, interest rate and minimum monthly payment.
- Pay off the account with the smallest balance.
- Call your credit card company to request a lower interest rate.
Money Wi$e Women Conference
Hosted by Money Wi$e Women™ Educational Services & LifeMoxie
Open to all women and men
Saturday, April 12th 2008 from 9:00 am - 5:30 pm
San Francisco State University
Downtown Campus in Westfield Mall
San Francisco, CA
To register for the Money Wise Women Conference, click here.
For more information on Marcia Brixey, visit: www.marciabrixey.com
About Marcia Brixey:
During her 26 years working for the Social Security Administration, Marcia Brixey met thousands of women who experienced financial difficulties resulting from a personal crisis - husband's death, divorce, illness or loss of a job. Five years ago she founded Money Wise Women™ Educational Services to ensure that every woman be financially articulate, confident, secure and independent. Today she hosts Money Wi$e Women™ forums throughout the Western United States.
Marcia is a popular keynote speaker and author of The Money Therapist: A Woman's Guide to Creating a Healthy Financial Life (Seal Press).