Vietnamese Roasted Pork Sandwich
- 3 lbs. pork shoulder
- 4 Qt. cold water
- 4 each bay leaf
- 4 T cracked white pepper
- 4 T cracked black pepper
- 4 each Thai chili (crushed)
- 3 each jalapeno (sliced)
- 1/2 c. garlic (minced)
- 1 3/4 c kosher salt
- 1 c. brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup carrots (julienne)
- 6 ciabatta rolls
- 1/2 mayo (preferably homemade)-optional
- 1/2 pork paté (thin sliced)-optional
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 c. soy sauce
- 1 English cucumber (sliced lengthwise into 1/8" thick slices)
- 1 cup julienne carrot or pickled carrots (see recipe above)
- 3 jalapeno (thin sliced)-optional
- 12 sprigs cilantro
- With a fork or paring knife, poke the pork thoroughly.
- Combine the brine ingredients and mix well.
- Place pork in the brine for 4 hours or overnight.
- Meanwhile, make the pickled carrots by mixing vinegar, sugar and salt until sugar and salt are dissolved. Pickle the carrots in solution for at least 30 minutes or up to 1 week.
- Remove the pork out of the brine, do not rinse.
- In a 400 ºF degree oven roast pork for 30 minutes or until browned, then turn it over and roast for another 30 minutes. Check for doneness, your thermometer should read 140-145 degrees. Remove from oven. Let meat rest about 30 minutes. Thinly slice meat and divide it into 6 portions.
- Lightly toast rolls. Then sliced rolls in half lengthwise and remove some of bread inside to create a pocket for the meat.
- Spread mayo on both sides and place a few slices of pork pate on one side of the bread.
- Layer 1 portion of your sliced meat, sprinkle with black pepper and soy sauce.
- Layer carrots, cucumber, cilantro and jalapenos on top if desired. Repeat with remaining rolls. Enjoy!