"I've been saying for years, that hands down he's the most talented performer I've ever seen in my life," said Saunders.
Saunders has a pretty good perspective. His late father was the keyboardist who played with the Grateful Dead and his own band. Like the rest of us, Saunders watched Michael grow up from a child to two weeks ago preparing for the tour that will never take place.
20 years ago Saunders was part of the crew for Michael's "Bad" Tour in Asia.
"He was a very shy person offstage and paled around with guys and everyone else, but when he stepped on stage he became larger than life," said Saunders.
There were 300 people traveling with the production, so Saunders only talked business with Michael. He says he never saw doctors with the king of pop. Saunders got his 15 minutes of fame in a national publication photographed with Michael in Tokyo.
"That was a sound check the day before the show," said Saunders.
Saunders made sure the stage was level for a moonwalk. He was on stage for every show.
"There are those who can go out and given the performance of a lifetime every night, and that's exactly what it was," said Saunders. "He demanded perfection from himself and everybody who worked around him."
But the crew also challenged Michael. In the middle of the show, backstage, they'd try to make him laugh.
"But that just shows the playfulness of what it was. It was during the middle of the show, and he'd turn around and there were 70,000 people sitting out in the audience. Every once in a while we could make him laugh," said Saunders.
Now it is time to just reflect.
"It's nice to be a part of pop culture. And above all, the guy was human and arguably one of the greatest talents of my generation," said Saunders.
- Stanford student wins Jackson memorial ticket
- AEG Live footage of Jackson's last rehearsal for the "This Is It" tour on June 23
- Local Jackson photographer reminisces
- Michael Jackson in SF (From 1984)
- A look back at the life of Michael Jackson
- Reaction from music writer Ben Fong-Torres
- Jackson Tribute at NYC's Apollo
- BET Awards honor Jackson
- 'King of Pop' through the years
- Fans mourn Michael Jackson
- Jackson fans learn who won memorial tickets
- Jackson family plans private event at LA cemetery
- More than 1 million seek tix for Jackson memorial
- Diprivan found in Michael Jackson's home
- L.A. officials discuss Tuesday Jackson event
- Michael Jackson's will recently unsealed
- Fans remember Jackson at the Apollo Theater
- Family: Michael Jackson had a will
- Coroner gathers evidence at Jackson home
- Jackson's mom gets guardianship of kids
- Jackson's legacy honored at BET Awards
- Lawyer says Jackson had pulse
- Sales surge after Jackson's death
- Jackson family wants 2nd autopsy
- More behind the drug Demerol
- Michael Jackson memorabilia sells quickly
- Jackson news dominates the Internet
- 911 tape released
- Leaders, superstars, fans mourn King of Pop
- Quotes on Jackson's death