Grilled Marinated Flat Iron Steak with Citrus Salad and Habanero Vinaigrette
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 2 tbs nuoc nam (Vietnamese fish sauce)
- 3 tbs brown sugar
- 4 Thai bird chilies
- 1-1/2 lb flat iron steak (natural, chemical free)
- 1-1/2 shaved red onion
- 1-1/2 orange, segmented
- 1/3 cup chiffonade Thai basil
- 1-1/2 cucumber, seeded and sliced
- 1-1/2 ruby red grapefruit, segmented
- 3 tbs chopped cilantro
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- salt and pepper to taste
Marinate the flank steak in the lime juice, nuoc nam, brown sugar and chilies for one hour. Grill to desired temp.
Mix together the red onion, orange, grapefruit, Thai basil, cucumber with the EVOO, salt and pepper.
To serve, place a small amount of the salad in the center of a plate. Slice the steak and arrange along the salad. Finish with the vinaigrette
For information about the AVIA Napa Hotel, visit www.aviahotels.com
Napa Fresh Aire Festival
Chef Philip Schuster will be a featured chef at The Napa Fresh Aire Festival on August 28-30 (to be held throughout the town of Napa). It is a new kind of festival-offering an inspiring weekend of engaging programs and outdoor activities focused on personal well-being and eco-conscious living. Attendees will receive fresh perspectives, invigorating experiences, and timely and valuable information.
· Three-Day Fresh Aire Pass: $110 - includes all programs, Friday showing of FRESH the movie-in association with the Napa Valley Film Society and sponsored by Whole Foods, Saturday Juber concert and Sunday keynote Dan Buettner
· Friday-Only Pass: $99 - includes the Friday program with FRESH the movie
· Saturday-Only Pass: $99 - includes the Saturday program with Juber concert
· Saturday Evening Laurence Juber In Concert: $30 (included in Three-Day or Saturday-Only Passes)
· Special activity tickets also are available for special lunches, wine panel discussion and tasting, hike and bike excursions, kayaking and more. For information: www.napafreshairefest.com.
· Also, visit festival partners Pharmaca® and Whole Foods to learn about special rates on festival passes!
Find out more about Napa Fresh Aire Festival at www.napafreshairefest.com or call 888.285.5893
About Chef Philip Schuster, Executive Chef, AVIA Kitchen and Wine Bar in Napa
Chef Philip Schuster grew up in Shreveport, Louisiana where he enjoyed Creole food at his Mom's table. His love of food and cooking has kept him working in the restaurant business for 19 years, including several years in the Bay Area managing premier restaurants like Alma, Noonan's, Foreign Cinema, Spoon, Shangai 1930, Bungalow 44, Pair and Sparky's. In 2007, Philip teamed up with a fellow chef to open the Bleaux Magnolia in Napa. In 2009, he signed on with the new AVIA Hotel as sous chef where he was quickly promoted to Executive Chef.
At AVIA Napa, guests can prepare to 'expect the unexpected.' In keeping with the company's "living well on local time" philosophy, AVIA Napa taps into the insiders' best of California's most famous wine region, in which AVIA's experts offer insight and advice to the best of Napa. Chef John and his culinary team will present guests with tasting and pairing classes on the second floor terrace, offering hands on training and one-on-one interaction for an epicurean experience unlike any other in the region.
Varying tasting menus of seasonally-inspired small plates and bright, clean flavors as appealing to the eye as the palate makes AVIA Napa the place "to begin and end your evening," according to Alexander. The hotel is centrally situated downtown within walking distance to tasting rooms, restaurants, local hotspots and some of the world's best vineyards, including Chef John's own personal favorites, Joseph Phelps Winery and Cain Vineyards.