MARIN COUNTY, Calif. (KGO) -- In the North Bay, one of the largest wildfire prevention efforts this season is happening, dozens of acres are part of a controlled burn to create a huge firebreak near communities. It was also first-hand training for new firefighters who may be needed during the long, hot summer.
The mission was to ignite and burn almost every inch of this dry Novato hillside.
More than 100 firefighters from across Marin County we're taking part in a massive controlled burn Thursday, the largest of the season.
"We're going to burn as much as one hundred acres if the prescription keeps up," said Marin County Fire Department Battalion Chief Todd Overshiner.
WHAT TO KNOW: Fires burning in or near Sunol, Benicia, Vacaville, Port Costa, San Mateo Co.
The goal is to create a giant fire break in a region that hasn't seen a major fire in years, but the drought is upping the risk factors.
"Everything is drying out already, coming close to heading to critical levels here in the next month," he added.
This burn was also a real-time training class for 40 new seasonal firefighters like Jake Murphy who'll likely be needed this summer.
"California's such a beautiful place, to be a part of a group protecting structures and land, it's one of my motivations," Murphy said.
TAKE ACTION: Tips for how to help and stay safe during and after a wildfire
Firefighter Christian Reyes was helping to train the new recruits, teaching them how to manage a giant swath of defensible space which could help stop wildfires this season.
"We're obviously helping our community by lowing the amount of fuels that we have," Reyes said.
The controlled burn will continue on Friday.
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Map shows riskiest areas in California for damaging wildfires
- How to prepare for a wildfire evacuation
- How to prepare your pets in case of disaster
- How to make a pet carrier in case of emergency
- Most destructive California wildfires in history
- The deadliest wildfires in California history
- Live: Track Bay Area air quality levels
- How are wildfires started? A look at the causes of some of the worst in California history
- The difference between containing and controlling a wildfire
- What's in wildfire smoke? How it can impact your health
- What are the diablo winds and how can they influence Northern California wildfires?
- What you need to know about Santa Ana winds and California wildfires
- Safety tips to remember when returning home after wildfire
- How to pick a mask for protection during a wildfire
- Red flag warning: What to do during dangerous fire conditions
- Everything to know about red flame retardant dropped during wildfires
- What happens to animals during wildfires?
- How to drive safely during a power outage
- How wildfires create a serious threat for flooding and mudflows
- These aircraft are on the front lines of the fight against California wildfires
If you're on the ABC7 News app, click here to watch live