Across California, the demand for novel coronavirus testing is high. In Los Angeles, hundreds waited for hours in their cars for a COVID-19 test, the lines grew longer into the night.
Likewise in the Bay Area, some could wait days to get an appointment.
Currently, there are 19 city-run coronavirus testing sites in San Francisco including one at Pier 30 on the Embarcadero.
RELATED: Appointments for COVID-19 tests before Thanksgiving hard to come by
"The lines are getting longer and longer," said Jon Jocobo.
Jacobo is the Health Committee chairman from the Latino Task Force. He says demand is high at a test site in the Mission district. Recently, 500 people are getting tested every day.
"We are here to serve the Latino community but not exclusively, we'll take care of those folks who show up and need that test," Jocobo added.
He believes the city needs more testing sites.
"We need more low barrier test sites, easy access, walk up in areas where we're seeing an increase in cases," said Jocobo.
RELATED: Bay Area health officials consider 14-day self-quarantine after traveling outside the area
Dr. Naveena Bobba says, "San Francisco currently does more testing than any city in the country."
More than 5,000 tests per day but many who are lining up, are not all high priority.
"It's for people exposed or who have symptoms or essential workers. If people have other reasons to get tested, they should call their primary care physician," Bobba added.
Those other reasons include traveling for the holidays.
"We strongly discourage use of city resources for travel purposes," she said.
CORONAVIRUS TESTING: Where can I get tested for COVID-19 in the San Francisco Bay Area?
The city has closed one testing site in the SOMA neighborhood but plans to open a new site on Alemany Boulevard next week. Learn more about testing in San Francisco here.
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Map: CA counties that can, can't reopen under new rules
- Updated number of COVID-19 deaths, cases in Bay Area
- COVID-19 Help: Comprehensive list of resources, information
- California EDD: The most commonly asked questions we get about unemployment and PUA
- How to tell the difference between seasonal allergies and coronavirus symptoms
- Here's which mask is better to protect from COVID-19
- First COVID-19 vaccine volunteers in US describe experience as Bay Area launches vaccine trials
- From salons to dinner parties:Experts rate the risk of 12 activities
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get aCOVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- COVID-19Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during novel coronavirus pandemic
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic