Among them Susie Williams who is now safe and back in her home.
BAY AREA WILDFIRES: The latest on evacuation orders, road closures, containment numbers
"Tuesday morning at 8 a.m. we were allowed to return," she tells me. "So it was about five days."
On this day Williams and I are talking about the always hot topic in Groveland: fire insurance.
"My neighbors all have the same problem I do," Williams says. "In that every year people go through the same dance."
That "dance" is finding an insurance company that will cover their homes for fire. When Williams bought her home six years ago, she says, the original owners were paying $1,100 a year. Williams is now paying around $3,000, a near-tripling of her rate.
VIDEO: Here's what it's like driving through Santa Cruz County wildfire at night
"It was not a gradual climb," Williams says. "It was very steep. All of a sudden, yes, you have got to pay a lot more for your insurance."
The area is seen as more likely to burn. Insurance companies subscribe to services that create "wildfire scores."
Amy Bach heads up the consumer group United Policy Holders. "There is something called a fire line score. (It) is similar to a credit score. So a private company developed this tool and they are selling it to insurance companies," she says.
PHOTOS: New images show scope of wildfires' devastation, as major complexes ravage state
Two of the big players in this space are Verisk and CoreLogic, both look at the fire danger facing the home.
"What it does is score a house by slope, fuels and access to a fire station," Bach explains.
Is it on a hillside? What could burn next to the home, and how far away are firefighters?
How do you find out your score? Ask your insurance agent.
Take a look at more stories and videos by Michael Finney and 7 On Your Side.
App users: For a better experience, click here to view the full map in a new window
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Track wildfires across Bay Area with this interactive map
- Here are all the fires burning in the Bay Area right now
- Latest on LNU, CZU and SCU Complex Fire evacuations, road closures
- WATCH: Staggering footage shows lightning storm that started complex fires
- Photos show scope of Bay Area wildfires' devastation
- Track air quality levels in the Bay Area
- How LNU, CZU & SCU Lightning Complex Bay Area fires got their names
- How to prepare for a wildfire evacuation
- Most destructive California wildfires in history
- Camp Fire is deadliest wildfire in California history
- How are wildfires started? A look at the causes of some of the worst in California history
- Safety tips to remember when returning home after wildfire
- VIDEO: How to prepare your pets in case of disaster
- The difference between containing and controlling a wildfire
- How wildfire smoke can impact your health
- What's in wildfire smoke? How it can impact your health