Maria Rugani started sewing reusable face coverings inside her Belmont home. Her daughter, Grace Gowen, thought it looked fun and decided to help.
LIST: Face masks required at stores including Walmart, Best Buy, Starbucks
They first made them for family and friends, then decided to put out a box for neighbors. News of the free face coverings spread on social sites like Facebook and Nextdoor.
Neighbors have been delighted because these homemade masks come in five different sizes. They even have adjustable ear loops so you can make the perfect fit.
Meenal Sambari drove from Foster City to get some of the smaller sized masks for her kids. She says, "It's very hard to find the right children's size."
Maria and Grace have crafted hundreds of masks so far. Their operation is running on donations. They say they'll keep making masks as long as they have supplies and as long as people need them.
App users: for a better experience with the graphic above, click here to view in a new window
See more stories and videos about Building a Better Bay Area here.
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- COVID-19 Help: Comprehensive list of resources, information
- Watch list: Counties where COVID-19 is getting worse
- MAP: Everything that's open, forced to close in Bay Area
- Everything to know about CA's confusing reopening plan, summer shutdown and what comes next
- From salons to dinner parties:Experts rate the risk of 12 activities
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- Life after COVID-19: Here's what restaurants, gyms will look like
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay athome orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- Experts compare face shield vs. face mask effectiveness
- COVID-19Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during novel coronavirus pandemic
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic