RELATED: Ghost Ship Fire Verdict: Aunt of victim says hearing verdict was 'horrible'
Mary Vega, whose son Alex died along with his girlfriend Michela Gregory in the warehouse fire, spoke with media after the verdict was read.
"I'm just upset," she said. "My son and his girlfriend died and is this in vain?"
Vega went on to say, "Max is guilty! They didn't find him guilty-I don't know why."
VIDEO: Remembering the Oakland Ghost Ship Fire victims
Twenty-nine-year-old defendant Max Harris was acquitted on all 36 counts of involuntary manslaughter, the judge declared a mistrial for 49-year-old Derick Almena. The jury foreman says they voted 10-2 in favor of conviction for Almena, but couldn't break the deadlock with multiple votes.
The defense attorneys for both men also spoke out, taking aim at the city of Oakland.
Take a look at the latest stories and videos about the Ghost Ship Fire trial.
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Ghost Ship Trial: Max Harris acquitted, mistrial for Derick Almena due to hung jury
- Ghost Ship Trial: Defense attorneys take aim at city of Oakland
- Timeline: How the investigation into the deadly Ghost Ship fire unfolded
- Remembering the Oakland Ghost Ship Fire victims
- PHOTOS: A look inside the Oakland Ghost Ship collective warehouse
- PHOTOS: Before and after Oakland Ghost Ship fire
- Ghost Ship Trial: Friend of defendant Max Harris talks as jurors restart deliberations