SAN RAFAEL, Calif. (KGO) -- Marin County school and health officials are recommending students and teachers to mask up at all times when on campus, even outdoors.
"Looking across the nation as schools reopen it's clear the Delta variant presents new challenges," said Dr. Matt Willis, Marin County Public Health Officer. "We've risen to challenges before by following the guidance and using common sense. Face covering is among the easiest and most effective tools we have."
Originally, health officials proposed that students wear masks indoors and outdoors, and one parent challenged that proposal in court Thursday. An attorney for the parent said the district then backed off on this proposed outdoor mask order because he says officials couldn't support this mandate with evidence.
Thursday was the first day of school for many schools in Marin.
VACCINE TRACKER: How California is doing, when you can get a coronavirus vaccine
Having trouble loading the tracker above? Click here to open it in a new window.
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Map shows everywhere you can get a COVID-19 test in the Bay Area
- Mask mandates are back in Bay Area, so what's the safest one to wear? Here's what doctor says
- What we know about the delta variant of COVID-19 following new CDC report
- Lambda and delta plus: What to know about other COVID variants detected in US
- Should vaccinated people get tested if exposed to COVID-19? CDC explains
- Can a breakthrough infection still lead to long haul COVID-19? San Francisco doctor explains
- CA COVID-19 Vaccine Tracker: See your status here
- These CA counties are way ahead in vaccinations
- Data tracker: Coronavirus cases, deaths, hospitalizations in every Bay Area county
- Get the latest updates on California EDD, stimulus checks, unemployment benefits
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area