RELATED: Shootings at 3 Georgia spas leave 8 dead; alleged gunman charged with murder
The massive crowd joined in Madison Park to mourn the loss of life.
"Tonight is about the murders in Atlanta, but it is about how Asians look over their shoulders when they go to their cars, and it is about how we call and tell our elders to go to the store with a friend," said one organizer as she referenced the recent violence against Asians.
Police in Atlanta are still investigating the motive behind the shooting spree but say that the suspected gunman, 21-year-old Robert Aaron Long, told them he blames the businesses he targeted for providing an outlet for his addiction to sex.
VIDEO: 20/20 special 'Murder in Atlanta' to examine hate crimes against Asian Americans
Those at Tuesday's rally say that in their eyes this is a hate crime, as six of the eight killed were of Asian descent.
"To see yet another case where women, Asian women specifically, have been targeted and murdered is heartbreaking and devastating," said Alvina Wong who is the director of the Asian Pacific Environmental Network.
Judy He brought her 6-year-old daughter and 3-year-old son to this vigil.
"I think it is very important that they see what is going on and that they are part of the healing process with the community," said He.
RELATED: Find resources to help with equality, justice and race issues
Long is suspected of killing all eight victims. Police have not yet determined if each victim was a specific target but those at Tuesday's rally believe there was an element of white supremacy involved. Something brought up several times Tuesday afternoon.
"It's both sad and scary, white supremacy is really on the attack on a lot of fronts in all sorts of forms," said Wong.
Many we spoke with are arguing and demanding that hate crime charges be brought against Robert Aaron Long, but at this point that has not happened.
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Bay Area Asian Americans share powerful, painful memories of hate
- 83-year-old Asian man describes debilitating SF attack, warns people 'to be careful'
- 'Go back to China': Racist rant suspect ID'd as daughter of late NY senator
- Asian American victim considers moving out of state after brutal attack in SF
- EXCLUSIVE: 75-year-old Asian man warned about increase in attacks days before murder in Oakland
- Daniel Dae Kim, members of Congress to testify on discrimination, violence against Asian Americans
- Asian grandma knocked unconscious in unprovoked attack in NY
- Family outraged over SF DA's description of 84-year-old Asian man's suspected killer
- Nearly 3,800 anti-Asian hate incidents reported across US since March 2020, group says
- 'This is horrific': SFPD to step up patrols amid string of violent attacks on Asian Americans
- Daniel Wu, W. Kamau Bell discuss shocking crimes against Asian Americans
- Santa Cruz Warriors guard Jeremy Lin comments on racial slur directed at him
- #StandForAsians rally draws hundreds in San Mateo with 7th grader leading the charge
- Actors Daniel Dae Kim, Daniel Wu discuss violent crimes against Asian Americans in Bay Area
- Police investigating after Asian man stabbed in back in NYC's Chinatown
- Burma Superstar offers $5,000 reward as ABC7 receives reports of additional attacks on Asian Americans
- EXCLUSIVE: Former Bay Area gang member arrested after threatening to kill Asians online
- 'We're on alert': Volunteers arm Oakland Chinatown business owners with air horns for safety
- Arrest in NYC assault on Chinese woman after Olivia Munn called for public's help
- Hundreds of people are volunteering to escort elderly Asian Americans to help keep them safe
- Surge in racism against Asian Americans spurs calls for change
- Oakland police chief visits Chinatown shops, emphasizes need for 'greater presence' after attacks, crime