OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- Dramatic surveillance video coming out of Oakland shows the moment four people approach a pair of seniors, rob them and are chased away thanks to their machete-wielding son.
Speaking to ABC7 News anchor Dion Lim, the son, who does not want to be identified or share publicly the neighborhood where this incident happened said the group of men approached his parents on their front porch after they had come home from grocery shopping Monday, March 29 at around 4:30.
In addition to grabbing the gold chain from off his mother's neck, you can see the robbers reach into his father's pockets to take a cell phone and keys.
EXCLUSIVE: 7-year-old Oakland girl's message to robbers who tied up parents, stole family's life savings
The son says he's glad he was home at the time.
"I heard my mom screaming and that's when I ran out. If I hadn't come out they would have done a lot worse."
VIDEO: Oakland man uses machete to scare away robbers
He continues to explain that he was changing his clothes when he heard the commotion which is why he ran out the door barefoot but thought quickly enough to grab a nearby machete to thwart the men from advancing into the house.
EXCLUSIVE: 75-year-old Asian man warned about increase in attacks days before murder in Oakland
This robbery and assault comes just one day before a Vietnamese couple was tied up in front of their 7-year old daughter less than 10 minutes away was robbed of much of their life savings and their home ransacked.
Both sets of victims say they want specific action taken by Oakland Police and showed displeasure in their response times and amount of care taken in both incidents. The man in the porch attack from the 29th says he'd like to see the culprits be "locked away for 10 years minimum".
ABC7 News has reached out to Oakland Police multiple times seeking specifics in each case and are awaiting a response.
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Bay Area Asian Americans share powerful, painful memories of hate
- 83-year-old Asian man describes debilitating SF attack, warns people 'to be careful'
- 'Go back to China': Racist rant suspect ID'd as daughter of late NY senator
- Daniel Dae Kim, members of Congress to testify on discrimination, violence against Asian Americans
- Asian grandma knocked unconscious in unprovoked attack in NY
- Family outraged over SF DA's description of 84-year-old Asian man's suspected killer
- Nearly 3,800 anti-Asian hate incidents reported across US since March 2020, group says
- 'This is horrific': SFPD to step up patrols amid string of violent attacks on Asian Americans
- Daniel Wu, W. Kamau Bell discuss shocking crimes against Asian Americans
- Santa Cruz Warriors guard Jeremy Lin comments on racial slur directed at him
- #StandForAsians rally draws hundreds in San Mateo with 7th grader leading the charge
- Actors Daniel Dae Kim, Daniel Wu discuss violent crimes against Asian Americans in Bay Area
- Police investigating after Asian man stabbed in back in NYC's Chinatown
- Burma Superstar offers $5,000 reward as ABC7 receives reports of additional attacks on Asian Americans
- EXCLUSIVE: Former Bay Area gang member arrested after threatening to kill Asians online
- 'We're on alert': Volunteers arm Oakland Chinatown business owners with air horns for safety
- Arrest in NYC assault on Chinese woman after Olivia Munn called for public's help
- Hundreds of people are volunteering to escort elderly Asian Americans to help keep them safe
- Surge in racism against Asian Americans spurs calls for change
- Oakland police chief visits Chinatown shops, emphasizes need for 'greater presence' after attacks, crime