So far they've taken in nearly 300 evacuated animals - but organizers say there's room for more.
LIST: Here are all the fires burning in the Bay Area
Cow Palace CEO Lori Marshall lists the animals that have been brought so far.
"We have chickens, peacocks, llamas, horses, cattle, goats, sheep and one pig."
Willy the camel was one of the animals safely evacuated from the fire zone over the weekend, San Mateo County shared on their Twitter.
Willy safely evacuated the fire zone yesterday. #SanMateoCounty Large Animal Evacuation Group is also feeding/caring for livestock yet to evacuate. Donate feed & supplies: https://t.co/UbD2SlV93g or @cowpalacesf evacuation center https://t.co/gQWTc3SK7q #CZUAugustLightning #camel pic.twitter.com/KfYXCezYhL— County of San Mateo (@sanmateoco) August 24, 2020
"The horses are herd animals," Steven Ciarametaro, a stable owner said. "They know each other. They want to be around each other, they're altogether here. They can see each other, they can smell each other. They're pretty calm."
RELATED: Meet the horse, Welsh pony, alpaca being treated at UC Davis after escaping the LNU Lightning Complex fire
Video also shows 75 sheep evacuating their San Gregorio home on Sunday night.
75 sheep & a llama were evacuated from their San Gregorio home last night thanks to #SanMateoCounty Large Animal Evacuation Group and their volunteers. Animals are being sheltered at @cowpalacesf. Donations needed: https://t.co/UbD2SlV93g. #CZULightingComplex pic.twitter.com/HhIwwpJoEQ— County of San Mateo (@sanmateoco) August 24, 2020
Organizers say this is the first time, in memory, that the Cow Palace has been used as an animal evacuation center.
For more information on the large animal evacuation center at Cow Palace, check their website here . To donate, the San Mateo County Large Animal Evacuation set up a website which could be found here.
The center is located on 2600 Geneva Avenue in Daly City.
App users: For a better experience, click here to view the full map in a new window
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Track wildfires across Bay Area with this interactive map
- Here are all the fires burning in the Bay Area right now
- Latest on LNU, CZU and SCU Complex Fire evacuations, road closures
- WATCH: Staggering footage shows lightning storm that started complex fires
- Photos show scope of Bay Area wildfires' devastation
- Track air quality levels in the Bay Area
- How LNU, CZU & SCU Lightning Complex Bay Area fires got their names
- How to prepare for a wildfire evacuation
- Most destructive California wildfires in history
- Camp Fire is deadliest wildfire in California history
- How are wildfires started? A look at the causes of some of the worst in California history
- Safety tips to remember when returning home after wildfire
- How to drive safely during a power outage
- What to do right now to prep for a planned power outage
- Here's how to store electricity before a power outage
- Tips for getting through a long-term power outage
- VIDEO: How to prepare your pets in case of disaster
- The difference between containing and controlling a wildfire
- How wildfire smoke can impact your health
- What's in wildfire smoke? How it can impact your health