Huang Zhu and Ying Huang say about two weeks ago their twin 6-year-olds heard a lot of knocking and doorbell ringing and thought the UPS driver was at their door.
RELATED: Find resources to help with equality, justice and race issues
Thankfully they didn't open the door because it was a man, yelling racist comments and saying things like, "You brought COVID-19."
In one clip the man says, "I said it's your neighbor, open the door! You... Communist China! Open the door right now! Communist China! You f**king Commies! This is America! It's not f**king (inaudible)."
What one son said was heartbreaking.
"He asked me, 'Mommy, did I do this because I watch too much iPad and he's here to punish me?' I didn't know what to say. I said 'you did nothing wrong, we did absolutely nothing wrong,'" says his mother.
VIDEO: Rallies held across the Bay Area to stop AAPI violence
The couple went on to tell ABC7 News anchor Dion Lim, "We've been here for over 20 years. We haven't experienced anything close to this. We had our education here and we worked hard. We haven't had problems with anyone."
San Jose police tell Dion Lim the man was arrested for elder abuse of his father, and that what happened with this family is being investigated as a hate incident.
Huang and Ying then decided to tell their neighbors about what happened. They brought boxes of See's Candies door-to-door and informed the people around them of what happened. Many in surrounding neighborhoods chimed in with their support after the couple posted about what happened on NextDoor.
The couple is in the process of filing a restraining order against the man. They say this kind of behavior will not be tolerated in their neighborhood and are encouraged by neighbors' support.
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Bay Area Asian Americans share powerful, painful memories of hate
- 83-year-old Asian man describes debilitating SF attack, warns people 'to be careful'
- 'Go back to China': Racist rant suspect ID'd as daughter of late NY senator
- Asian American victim considers moving out of state after brutal attack in SF
- EXCLUSIVE: 75-year-old Asian man warned about increase in attacks days before murder in Oakland
- Daniel Dae Kim, members of Congress to testify on discrimination, violence against Asian Americans
- Asian grandma knocked unconscious in unprovoked attack in NY
- Family outraged over SF DA's description of 84-year-old Asian man's suspected killer
- Nearly 3,800 anti-Asian hate incidents reported across US since March 2020, group says
- 'This is horrific': SFPD to step up patrols amid string of violent attacks on Asian Americans
- Daniel Wu, W. Kamau Bell discuss shocking crimes against Asian Americans
- Santa Cruz Warriors guard Jeremy Lin comments on racial slur directed at him
- #StandForAsians rally draws hundreds in San Mateo with 7th grader leading the charge
- Actors Daniel Dae Kim, Daniel Wu discuss violent crimes against Asian Americans in Bay Area
- Police investigating after Asian man stabbed in back in NYC's Chinatown
- Burma Superstar offers $5,000 reward as ABC7 receives reports of additional attacks on Asian Americans
- EXCLUSIVE: Former Bay Area gang member arrested after threatening to kill Asians online
- 'We're on alert': Volunteers arm Oakland Chinatown business owners with air horns for safety
- Arrest in NYC assault on Chinese woman after Olivia Munn called for public's help
- Hundreds of people are volunteering to escort elderly Asian Americans to help keep them safe
- Surge in racism against Asian Americans spurs calls for change
- Oakland police chief visits Chinatown shops, emphasizes need for 'greater presence' after attacks, crime