But nice weather could make up for it.
RELATED: Black Friday: 20-year-old waits 36 hours outside GameStop in Dublin for new Playstation 5
It was a merry masked-up day to kick off holiday shopping, but there were some who chose to not wear a mask while walking around downtown Walnut Creek:
Many NOT wearing a mask as they wait in lines to get into stores at Walnut Creek’s Broadway Plaza. pic.twitter.com/DAXEqNchTn— Leslie Brinkley (@lrbrinkley) November 27, 2020
Lines to get inside some popular stores with reduced capacity, in some cases, meant a 40-minute wait.
But The National Retail Federation, on their website, predicts online sales will be capturing 20% - 30% of the holiday market this season, which is more than last year.
RELATED: Cyber-criminals are targeting online shopping sites during Black Friday
There are no corporate parties, and reduced inventory and fewer employees in many stores according to Sanjit Sengupta, a San Francisco State University marketing professor, who said, "The projections are because consumer demand has been suppressed so far, starting with today which is Black Friday, and the start of holiday shopping season. There is some kind of pent-up demand, people want to give gifts to family and friends to uplift their spirits in a very challenging year."
In Walnut Creek's downtown, there is a 20% vacancy rate right now, but property owners say they are getting inquiries about renting the vacant sites. according to Kathy Hemmenway with the Walnut Creek Downtown Business Association.
RELATED: Here are 3 rules for successful holiday shopping this year
"What's missing is the ice rink," she said. "We were unable to host the ice rink this year for the first time in 15 years. Broadway Plaza had to cancel their holiday of lights parade."
In the end, what has helped out retail this weekend is magnificent weather.
Merchants said they feel guilty knowing there's a drought, but they are hoping sustained mild temperatures and lack of rain will help their bottom line in December.
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here. Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Map: CA counties that can, can't reopen under new rules
- COVID-19 risk calculator: The safest and most dangerous things to do this holiday season
- Updated number of COVID-19 deaths, cases in Bay Area
- COVID-19 Help: Comprehensive list of resources, information
- California EDD: The most commonly asked questions we get about unemployment and PUA
- Health experts urge flu shots in effort to avoid 'twindemic'
- How to tell the difference between seasonal allergies and coronavirus symptoms
- Here's which mask is better to protect from COVID-19
- First COVID-19 vaccine volunteers in US describe experience as Bay Area launches vaccine trials
- From salons to dinner parties: Experts rate the risk of 12 activities
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during novel coronavirus pandemic
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic