In total, 5,048 businesses in the San Francisco-Oakland-Hayward metro area closed from March 1 to July 10, per data analyzed from Yelp listings.
Data reveals 2,065 businesses have indicated they closed permanently during that time frame with 369 restaurants closed and 303 retail businesses closed.
"A small business is someone's dream," said Pete Mulvihill, owner of Green Apple Books. "It's their life's work and to see so many shuttered... it's awful."
Mulvihill said if business doesn't improve, the stores won't survive six more months.
RELATED: Bay Area small businesses face closure, uncertain future amid COVID-19 despite state resources
"We're living off inventory that we bought years ago," he said. "We're selling it to help pay for things."
The new reality is answering this question: How can I pay the bills?
Donna O'Leary, owner of women's clothing chain, Ambiance, is faced with that weekly.
RELATED: Boutique in SF's Mission District destroyed once by fire, now faces closure from COVID-19
"We're generating very little income," said O'Leary. "I've lost $2 million in sales." O'Leary leases four building spaces across San Francisco - three stores and a warehouse.
VIDEO: Coronavirus: Where did COVID-19 come from?
Altogether, monthly rent is $50,000.
If rent isn't lowered, O'Leary will be forced to close all locations in four months. Joining at least 300 other area retailers that have permanently closed.
"I've already cut my workforce in half... yeah, not good," she said.
Meanwhile, Paul Robertson is barely holding on week by week.
"I'm going to pull back and wait. We did this in 2008, you pull back and wait," he said.
In total, more than 14,000 businesses permanently closed across the state. Around 15,300 businesses are temporarily closed statewide.
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic hereRELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- COVID-19 Help: Comprehensive list of resources, information
- Watch list: Counties where COVID-19 is getting worse
- MAP: Everything that's open, forced to close in Bay Area
- Everything to know about CA's confusing reopening plan, summer shutdown and what comes next
- From salons to dinner parties:Experts rate the risk of 12 activities
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- Life after COVID-19: Here's what restaurants, gyms will look like
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get aCOVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- Experts compare face shield vs. face mask effectiveness
- COVID-19Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during novel coronavirus pandemic
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic