The New York Times reports that the European Union is looking at reopening its borders to visitors from other countries on July 1, but not from the United States. The report says Americans may still be banned because of the number of novel coronavirus cases here.
That shocked some travelers at SFO Wednesday morning.
"From what I have heard about us handling the coronavirus, from what I have read from Trump, we have handled it much better than everyone else," said Gary Sims of Missouri.
RELATED: US citizens unlikely to be allowed into Europe as borders reopen amid coronavirus pandemic
"I guess what they do is their own decision. But as a traveler who loves to travel I think it is sad because I don't think there is that much of a risk, said Kim McElhannon of Visalia.
The report says Europe has put the United States on a list of possible countries to continue blocking, along with Russia and Brazil.
"Open it up for us also if they are opening it up for everybody else. Everybody else has the COVID also so why should we be excluded," said Alina Azios of Oahu.
"Don't we have the highest incident rate in the world? So yeah. Plus Trump is blocking Europeans from coming here so paybacks are paybacks right?," said Bruce Mosebar of Honolulu.
RELATED: Trump restricts travel from Europe in battle against COVID-19
One Italian who was catching a flight home out of SFO Wednesday morning said he thinks Americans should be banned until the curve in the US is flattened.
"I think that's in a way a wise decision from the EU governments because America, compared to for example my country, did not take the necessary precautions," said Mario Disanti.
A spokesperson at SFO said they did not want to comment yet until there is a final decision from the European Union. An announcement is expected next week.
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here. Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- COVID-19 risk calculator: Quiz yourself on the safest, most dangerous things you can do as CA reopens
- COVID-19 Help: Comprehensive list of resources, information
- When will the San Francisco Bay Area reopen? Track progress on 6 key metrics to reopening here
- Reopening California: What's opening and when in the Bay Area
- Everything we know about CA businesses opening and what comes next
- Life after COVID-19: Here's what restaurants, gyms will look like
- Here's everything allowed to open in CA (and what we're still waiting on)
- INTERACTIVE TIMELINE: How close was CA to becoming a NY-level crisis?
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- List: Where can I get tested for COVID-19 in the Bay Area?
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during novel coronavirus pandemic
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- WATCH: 'Race & Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation' virtual town hall about COVID-19 impact on Asian American community
- WATCH: 'Race & Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation' virtual town hall about COVID-19 impact on African American community
- WATCH: 'Race & Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation' virtual town hall about COVID-19 impact on Latino community
- WATCH: 'Your Mental Health: A Bay Area Conversation' virtual town hall addressing COVID-19 impact on mental health
- Symptoms, prevention, and how to prepare for a COVID-19 outbreak in the US
- Here's a look at some of history's worst pandemics that have killed millions