An unvaccinated San Francisco mother lost her unborn baby after getting sick with COVID-19 this month, and now they need help.
Nancy Mejia should be soothing her newborn's cries, instead she's wiping her own tears and planning a funeral.
"To leave your baby at the hospital, it's very, very sad. I have memories of feeling my baby when she would move in me," said Mejia.
RELATED: COVID increases risk of premature birth in pregnant women, UCSF study shows
Last week, Mejia arrived at San Francisco General Hospital and found out her baby girl had died. Two days later at 8 months pregnant, she gave birth to her stillborn daughter, Sara Ximena.
"The truth is I feel guilty about what happened," said Mejia's husband, Mario de Paz, who got sick with COVID-19 at the beginning of August.
de Paz ended up in the hospital but thought his initial symptoms were side effects from his first dose of the COVID-19 vaccine, which he got around the same time. So he went home to his wife and three-year-old son, who both got very sick.
"If I could go back in time, I would have gotten vaccinated sooner," said de Paz.
The CDC has urged pregnant women to get the COVID-19 vaccine. But, like 75% of pregnant women in the U.S., Mejia was unvaccinated. After she lost the baby, she got her first shot.
RELATED: COVID antibodies detected in newborns, breast milk after moms are vaccinated
Mejia said her baby was extremely healthy before she contracted COVID and went to all her prenatal appointments.
In order to determine the baby's cause of death, doctor's told Nancy an autopsy would be needed. But Mejia feels like it was her COVID infection. "Everything was fine until I got a fever, cough, and chills."
She has some advice to pregnant women: "To the mothers who are not vaccinated, get the vaccine."
de Paz still has some COVID symptoms and has been unable to work at his restaurant job all month. They've organized a GoFundMe to pay for their daughter's burial.
VACCINE TRACKER: How California is doing, when you can get a coronavirus vaccine
Having trouble loading the tracker above? Click here to open it in a new window.
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Map shows everywhere you can get a COVID-19 test in the Bay Area
- Mask mandates are back in Bay Area, so what's the safest one to wear? Here's what doctor says
- Here's everything you need to know about COVID-19 booster shots
- What we know about the delta variant of COVID-19 following new CDC report
- Lambda and delta plus: What to know about other COVID variants detected in US
- How to show proof of vaccination in San Francisco or anywhere in California
- Should vaccinated people get tested if exposed to COVID-19? CDC explains
- Can a breakthrough infection still lead to long haul COVID-19? San Francisco doctor explains
- CA COVID-19 Vaccine Tracker: See your status here
- These CA counties are way ahead in vaccinations
- Data tracker: Coronavirus cases, deaths, hospitalizations in every Bay Area county
- Get the latest updates on California EDD, stimulus checks, unemployment benefits
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area