HENNESSEY FIRE: Evacuations ordered in Vacaville as wildfire destroys dozens of homes
Matt Thomas recorded the video as he evacuated his home in Winters, Calif., which is on the Solano County and Yolo County border. The LNU Lightning fires that started in Napa County spread east overnight, leading Thomas to evacuate around 12:30 a.m.
As if the call to evacuate wasn't frightening enough, the journey out was harrowing. The video shows Thomas driving on Digger Pine Ridge Road, flames surrounding his truck and wind blowing embers over the hood of the car.
The heat on that drive was so intense, it melted the truck's taillights.
Thomas said it took about 10 to 15 minutes to get off the hill and away from the fire. He made it out safely, but isn't sure about the condition of his home or property.
The LNU Lightning Complex, which contains the Hennessey, Gamble and 15-10 fires, has burned 46,000 acres as of Monday afternoon.
CAL FIRE confirmed 50 structures have been damaged and 50 have been destroyed, though they suspect that number to grow much higher as they continue to assess the damage.
RELATED: Bay Area family describes terror as wildfire inched closer
"Firefighting resources are depleted as new fires continue to ignite," said CAL FIRE division chief Jeremy Rahn in a press conference Wednesday.
If you're in a fire zone and hear sheriff's deputies in the neighborhood blaring a hi-lo siren, that means it's time to evacuate immediately. We're tracking the latest on all the Bay Area fires and evacuation areas here.
App users: For a better experience, click here to view the full map in a new window
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Here are all the fires burning in the Bay Area right now
- Track air quality levels in the Bay Area
- Bay Area air quality worst in the world as wildfires rage in all but one county
- How to prepare for a wildfire evacuation
- Most destructive California wildfires in history
- Camp Fire is deadliest wildfire in California history
- How are wildfires started? A look at the causes of some of the worst in California history
- Safety tips to remember when returning home after wildfire
- VIDEO: How to prepare your pets in case of disaster
- The difference between containing and controlling a wildfire
- How wildfire smoke can impact your health
- What's in wildfire smoke? How it can impact your health