What's remarkable given the circumstances is how calm people were during the incident.
Below are some parts of the radio traffic recordings.
WOMAN: Hi communications.
MAN: Michelle we have, we have shots fired in building B at Guadalupe.
MAN: Guadalupe yard right here on First and Younger.
WOMAN: Yeah? MAN: I'm sorry Younger and San Pedro.
WOMAN: Okay. How many, what happened?
MAN: that's all we have right now. Building B. Shots were fired.
RELATED: Witness says gunman targeted those he worked directly with at VTA
Three minutes later as the shooting is going, we have two more calls.
One appears to be from a man who works security. He is told to stay away but can be clearly heard saying he is coming in because he is armed.
MAN 1: Rail control, Walter.
MAN 2: Walter, 7-7-2 track department.
MAN 1: Who's this?
MAN 2: 7-7-2. Track.
MAN 1: 7-7-2 What's going on man?
MAN 2: Yeah I don't know if anyone reported to you, we think there's a possible shooting right here, building, building B.
MAN 1: Yeah where you at, you need to shelter-in-place, hide, whatever you've gotta do. MAN 2: We're outside by the regular, I've got a couple guys with me by the regulators.
MAN 1: Okay. Go ahead and just stay clear man we've got county rolling all that good stuff. Just be safe.
MAN 1: Rail this is Travis.
VIDEO: Santa Clara Co. Sheriff's Department releases body camera footage
MAN 2: Hey Travis this S-8-5 I'm about to pull into the yard now.
MAN 1: Don't pull in. There's somebody shooting a gun, there's 10 to 15 shots, so just remain at a safe location. Don't let nobody inside here so stay on the outside.
MAN 2: Hey sorry is there an active shooter in the yard?
MAN 1: Yes.
MAN 2: Cause I'm coming in the yard I'm armed.
Literally one minute later, there is this chilling audio. You will hear two gunshots.
Train 31 0-C-C... (gunshots) train 31.
S-85! S-85 Somebody's shooting right outside the door, upstairs.
Take a look at the stories and videos about the mass shooting at the VTA rail yard in San Jose.
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- How to help San Jose shooting victims and their families
- These are the 9 victims of the VTA attack
- What we know about suspected VTA railyard shooter Sam Cassidy
- EXCLUSIVE: San Jose shooting widow remembers 'soulmate' of 22 years
- Families share touching memories of VTA shooting victims during San Jose City Hall vigil
- Witness says gunman targeted those he worked directly with at VTA
- EXCLUSIVE: VTA mass shooting witness describes 'mass of bodies,' says gunman had specific targets
- Suspected VTA shooter's ex-girlfriend describes relationship as abusive, says he was 'mentally not stable'
- San Jose VTA attack is 18th mass shooting in California this year
- VTA light rail operator killed while helping coworkers hide
- VTA rail yard, Gilroy Garlic Festival among deadliest mass shootings in Bay Area history
- Officials share emotional reactions to SJ rail yard tragedy
- Local resources for survivors and victims of gun violence