Santa Cruz firefighters extinguish blaze at motel

March 25, 2011 1:26:54 PM PDT
Santa Cruz firefighters extinguished a fire at a motel Thursday night, fire officials said.

Responders arrived at Motel Santa Cruz, located at 370 Ocean St., at around 8:50 p.m. in response to multiple reports of heavy smoke.

Firefighters saw a moderate amount of smoke coming from the center of the motel on the first floor and discovered the fire in the motel's laundry room, officials said.

Firefighters extinguished the blaze, which was controlled by the sprinkler system, according to fire officials.

Smoke had filled the laundry rooms on the second and third floors as well as several rooms, officials said.

An infant was checked for smoke inhalation at the scene but not transported to the hospital and no other injuries were reported.

Firefighters determined that the fire started in the clothes dryer and that the cause was accidental, officials said.

Officials estimate the fire caused about $15,000 in damage.

Load Comments