No bail for cockpit disturbance suspect

May 13, 2011 1:40:04 PM PDT
Accused cockpit crasher Rageit Al-Murisi appeared in federal court Friday morning and learned that he will remain in custody without bail until at least May 23, pending a mental evaluation.

Federal prosecutors testified that Al-Murisi told them he had been hearing voices and seeing hallucinations before he tried to break into the cockpit of an American Airlines flight last Sunday night. Prosecutors said that they believe Al-Murisi to be dangerous, even if the court were to release him on bail.

The 28-year-old Al-Murisi wore a red jumpsuit in court Friday. Nine members of his family from Vallejo lined the court's front row. Later, they told reporters that they want him to live with them. They do not see him as a threat. They want him to receive appropriate help.

Attorneys on either side of the case would not comment on the case.


Load Comments