Axios reports Airbnb sent a letter to the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission on Friday to change some regulations.
Right now the company can only give equity to investors and employees.
It's asking the commission to add gig economy workers to the list.
Last year, Uber met with the SEC to discuss a similar proposal.
PHOTOS: Ritzy SF home littered with drug paraphernalia, trash after Airbnb rental
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Airbnb guests caught on camera stealing from neighbor's home in Nashville
- Discovery Bay Airbnb host says her home was brutally ransacked by renters
- Gunfire erupts at party at Airbnb in Millbrae
- San Antonio woman claims college student's party caused thousands of dollars in damage
- Video shows Airbnb host shoving guest down staircase
- Peninsula woman says home trashed by Airbnb guest possibly using rental to shoot porn
- Oakland home trashed by Airbnb renter who threw wild party
- Airbnb renter arrested after trashing Oakland host's home
- Airbnb guest accused of stealing valuables from San Francisco host